Monday, December 1, 2014

A Contract to Discuss


A Contract to Discuss


Bal Vyr has decided get a new item to disguise himself with. And because of this, he has been staying in mine and Cloudbreaker’s room all day! It wouldn’t have been so bad if he hadn’t decided to summon himself a familiar... or call me out on my crush.
See, Bal Vyr and Abu joined me and the Goliath this morning for breakfast. As we ate the Drow informed us of his idea for enchanting his ring with a disguise spell. He had wanted to keep the crown they found from the crypt, but that proved to be a dilemma considering his hat of disguise would need to be removed. Abu offered to assist him with getting the ring disguised and his hat sold. Cloudbreaker and I agreed that Bal Vyr could keep to our room in the mean time.
The Drow also made mention of his desire for cold iron bolts but was told that the material had all been bought up. Cloudbreaker was certain he knew who would have bought it. So while Abu took care of Bal Vyr’s magic items, I went with the Goliath to the Sylphsbane Clade.
The Clade was impressive in it’s grandness. Cloudbreaker seemed to have been there once before for he asked for Harry Thorplewood. We were then presented to a the Clade’s leader, Garth Thorplewood. I assumed he must be Harry’s brother. Garth refused to shake hands with the Goliath. If I thought Dunco had an air of arrogance about him, this man trumped him from his raised eyebrow, look of disgust, and fancy clothes.
It was confirmed that the Clade had bought the cold iron and upon asking to buy it, we were informed monetary exchange wouldn’t be accepted. No. We would need to do them a favor. Seeing we were willing to do whatever it took for us to acquire the material we needed, Garth invited us to the back room.
The room was finer than the common area. The walls were lined with paintings, fine weapons, and decorative fabrics. Intricate rugs covered the stone floors. The furnishings were made of fine woods covered in velvet and satin. It was almost comparable to the Kingdom. For a moment, it almost felt like home.
Garth showed better manners as he offered me a chair in front of a large hearth, where a fire was glowing. Cloudbreaker ended up sitting next to me on the floor since there wasn’t any furnishings made for his size. The man then went on to explain that he’d be willing to equip us with all the cold iron weapons we wanted if we assisted in assassinating the Druidess.
Cloudbreaker and I looked at each other. It was a lucrative deal, especially the Goliath adding in a 12,000 gold piece payout on top of the weapons. But what was most pressing on my mind was how would we get close enough to the Druidess to pull off such a job? Let alone, I truly did not like the town guards or the Mayor and would rather help the Druidess. So I asked if he’d want her alive. Perhaps we could trick him by bringing her in and giving the Elves an advantage from the inside. Garth’s face lit up with excitement at the thought saying he’d give us quite the bonus if we managed such a task. He clearly had something he wanted to do to her.
However we left Garth Thorplewood waiting on an answer from us. He asked Cloudbreaker for affirmation that we’d take up this deal, but the Goliath made it clear he wasn’t the leader of our group. Though I look to him to lead, I admire how democratic he is. And so we left on a promise to respond in the afternoon.
As we made our way back to the Inn, we ran into Abu. He managed to sell Bal Vyr’s hat to the town guard and had his ring underway to being enchanted. He mentioned he wanted to go to the blacksmith’s to get some armor and a weapon, but we informed him we had business to discuss real quick with him and Bal Vyr. Plus Cloudbreaker said he’d be happy to help Abu out in selecting armor and a weapon.
When we opened the door to our room, we found the space within dimly lit for the windows had been covered by the sheets from the bed and 5 candles lit in front of a meditating Bal Vyr. The situation became more sinister as I noted the scimitar in one hand, his other hand slit and bleeding. Shocked by the startling scene, I called out to him. When he didn’t respond, I walked over to the corner he was in, noting the small pool of blood and some web like design by it. I reached out and gently tapped him. Bal Vyr continued to mutter something under his breathe, giving no sign that he was aware of my presence. I looked to the men. They shrugged their shoulders, Cloudbreaker patting Abu’s shoulder and suggesting we go eat and get his armor and weapon.
I figured it’d be okay to leave the Drow for a little while longer. All I could assume was whatever he was doing would be over by the time we got back.
We ended up spending three hours with Banehammer! I must hand it to him for his passion in his craft, but with Bal Vyr in some unknown condition, I was growing readily impatient as the men shopped and discussed the equipment.
Finally we went back to the Inn, the cleric looking less vulnerable than he was. I zipped up the stairs to room 14 and quickly opened the door to find Bal Vyr unmoved and the pool of blood even bigger! Once more I reached out and took the Drow’s shoulder, calling out to him. Suddenly the candles blew out as Bal Vyr grabbed my shoulder and in a loud voice, that faltered, spoke some dark dialect and passed out.
“Bal Vyr? Bal Vyr!?” I stated as I grabbed at the Drow to prevent him from hitting his head. Abu and Cloudbreaker walked through the doorway as all that took place. “Abu, could you heal him?” I asked. I carefully pulled Bal Vyr away from the corner so Abu didn’t have to step into the blood like I had. The Cleric laid his hands upon the Drow, but no noticeable changes took place. For a moment, it felt like Rekka all over again. Then I felt Bal Vyr’s chest rise and fall as he slept. I let a sigh of relief escape me.
“Cloudbreaker, place Bal Vyr on the bed please,” I instructed. As I got out of the way, I looked at the large pool of blood. We had to clean it up. I really didn’t want Dale to see the mess... yet I’d need to get some towels or rags from him...
I took my boots off before going down stairs to avoid tracking blood through the Inn. The men followed me downstairs too. They ordered some drinks as I inquired of Dale about any rags I could use.
“Making another mess are we?” Dale accused, eyeing each of us.
“No,” I lied, but only because Dale made it seem like we were breaking things again, “Our friend is not well and I’d like to clean up after him before it becomes permanent.” The Innkeeper eyed me a moment but nodded his head toward the door behind him.
“You’ll find plenty of rags back there,” he said as he placed two pints in front of Cloudbreaker and Abu. I figured I’d join them once the cleanup was completed.
I made my way through the kitchen and found the pile of rags and dirty towels. I took three and grabbed a bucket to fill with water. Lucky for me, there was already a pot of water resting over a fire. It would seem the cook was getting ready to make a large batch of stew for the night. She was kind in helping me get a bucket of hot water so I could properly clean the floors.
Back in the room, I took some soap and placed it in the bucket to dissolve. I then pulled back the sheet from one of the windows so I could see better. As I scrubbed the blood from the floor something peculiar happened... Right as I went to clear away the web like image Bal Vyr had traced in his blood, it began to move. I pulled back from it alarmed and watched the blood collect and take shape. The remaining blood turned into a raven.
“Caw!” it squawked at me before flying over to Bal Vyr. I looked on with wide eyes, nervous about what it was the Drow had done.
I finished by cleaning my boots before taking the bucket out back and dumping it. I then went to the well and drew fresh water to rinse the rags and bucket with before returning then to Dale.
As I rounded the corner into the main room, I quickly noticed Cloudbreaker and Abu were gone.
“Thanks Dale-” I began, “Um... where’d the guys go?” I asked. The Innkeeper slapped his hand clothe to the counter before giving me a stern look.
“I kicked them out for the time being since they decided to vomit all over. So you’re welcome to use those rags and clean this mess up too!” Dale barked. I felt my shoulders sag, but without a murmur from me, I cleaned up after my comrades.
Once that was done, I decided to spend my time up in the room. As I walked in, I found Bal Vyr sitting on the bed chatting with the bird. He stopped as soon as he noted my presence,
“Hey,” I said cautiously.
“Hey.”
“So... you were summoning a bird?”
“Oh this... um no...” Bal Vyr said as he narrowed his eyes on me.
“Well, that bird was created from your blood.”
“Really? Well, it’s my familiar now. Gonna call her Blackwing,” he said matter of factly. I gawked at Bal Vyr in disbelief.
“Right...” I said feeling uncomfortable suddenly.
“By the way, you and Cloudbreaker?” Bal Vyr asked. I felt my eyes widen.
“What about it?” I said, trying to feign innocence.
“Is it going to be an issue?”
I furrowed my brows in confusion. “What’s going to be an issue? I’m sorry, I don’t understand-”
“I know how you look at him,” the Drow went on, his eyes narrowing on me. My heart began to race. I couldn’t help but wonder why it mattered to him. “Hey relax, it’s perfectly natural. I felt that way when I met my mate,” he continued on.
“You have someone?”
“Yes... but it’s complicated.”
A moment of silence followed to which I attempted to shift the subject off of me, “Um, you’ve been out of it a while. Are you hungry?”
“Actually, I am. I’d love a sandwich,” Bal Vyr answered.
“Okay I’ll be right back with that,” I informed the Drow as I turned on my heels.
“Hey!” Bal Vyr called out as he blocked the door, “You didn’t answer my question.”
“Sorry what?”
“Is it going to be an issue?” he repeated himself. The way his eyes bore into mine was unsettling. I understood where he was coming from; if the party was in trouble, would I only have Cloudbreaker’s back?
As I hesitated to answer, Bal Vyr asked, “Does he even know?”
“No! Well... I don’t know,” I clipped out.
“Ugh, I don’t even want to think about how a Goliath and Bird would work out,” he muttered. I felt my cheeks grow hot with embarrassment, “However I could tell him for you if you’d like,” the Drow offered.
“No! J-Just stay out of this Bal Vyr! It’s none of your business!” I retorted.
“So what is your answer then?” he asked in reference to his unanswered question. I bore my eyes into Bal Vyr’s, hating how embarrassed I felt for the feelings I had for Cloudbreaker.
“It won’t be,” I managed to say. The Drow then stepped out of my way so I could go fetch him food.
Dale instructed me to go make the sandwich myself since the help was out for the night. I quickly went into the kitchen and along side the cook, made a sandwich for Bal Vyr while the cook continued to fill orders.
After giving Bal Vyr his food, I went back downstairs to offer my help to Dale. He begrudgingly allowed me since it was a particularly busy night.
Now here it is, after midnight, and still no sign of Cloudbreaker or Abu. I’m trying not to worry. They are grown adults... yet the Goliath was unpredictable in his behavior. May they not be in trouble...
Oh... and another thought I had while I worked. I suppose I ought to tell Cloudbreaker how I feel. I would hate for Bal Vyr to give it away. From what I know of him, I could see him using that as a tool against us. Plus... if the Goliath isn’t interested in me, I’d rather that not be made a scene for all to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment