Monday, February 9, 2015

A Ram for Kavaki pt. 1

Previous Entry A Ram for Kavaki


When I woke up this morning, I noticed Harbinger wasn’t sleeping next to me any more. I sat up and took in the cool morning air, scanning the camp. I then noted Cloudbreaker Harbinger a ways off in a group of trees. He was facing the sun rise with his lion by his side. I wrapped my blanket about myself, and while saying ‘good morning' to the others, made my way toward the Goliath.
He was in deep thought as he stroked the lion’s back, and so I sat down next to him. The view was nice, with the sun painting the sky various colors. With my arms propped up on my knees, I rested my chin upon them and continued to enjoy the silent company with the beauty of Athvala.
Something I didn’t note about the lioness was how big she was. A normal mountain lion nearly came up my my hips, but this one... she was just above my waist. Perhaps the lion’s in this world are bigger.
Eventually I felt Harbinger place an arm around me. I leaned into him and was about to greet him when I realized I didn’t know what his new name was in Gol-Kaa. So I settled for ‘good morning.’
“Cold?” he asked.
“A little,” I responded, “So how do you say Harbinger in Gol-Kaa?”
“Namameki,” he answered.
“Na-ma-me-ki,” I repeated slowly. I then looked at the mountain lion, “Has she a name?”
Harbinger smiled warmly as he gave a gentle pat on the lioness’s head. “I’m going to call her Dawn.”
“May I pet her?”
“Of course,” Harbinger said as he scooted back. I leaned over and gave Dawn a few scritches on the top of her head. She was docile and purred at my touch. For something wild, the lioness was clearly harmless.  
“Well, I suppose we best get a move on it if we want to arrive back in town at a reasonable hour,” the Goliath said. He then helped me up and soon we were back with the others, packing up camp.


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


We got back into Lake Town mid afternoon. Harbinger at first was hesitant about the reaction people would have toward a mountain lion wandering about town with us. I said it couldn’t be worse than having a talking owl bear hanging out with you, The guys cocked their heads to which I brushed my comment aside by saying the mountain lion would be fine.
Bal Vyr went to find the library and get a start on learning the history of Lake Town. Abu and I went around with Harbinger as he collected his armor and shopped for various items.
Harbinger had to get Harry Thorplewood from the Sylphsbane Clade to assist him in getting the armor. He was the one to sponsor the equipment in exchange for a spear that we found in the crypt. As we walked with him to the armorsmith, the Goliath asked him about what he thought of the mayor. I thought it blunt of him to ask, but interestingly enough, Harry had nothing to say. I narrowed my eyes on him and for the first time... it would seem we had an ally. Typically if nobles had nothing to say about someone, it was because there was nothing good to say.
We walked into the armor shop and could see Harbinger’s armor displayed before us. It was quite exciting, if not gaudy to say the least. The armor was handsomely made and very becoming of the Goliath. It looked like it fit him very well as I assisted him with putting it on. Harbinger was like a little child after he got away from the dismissive armorsmith. It was endearing seeing him so excited, however his euphoria got the best of him. He nearly passed out from hyperventilating.
Once Harbinger had his bearings again, he then looked to us and said he wanted to go close up his tab at Larland’s Chalice Inn. I gave him a quizzical look.
“Why?” I asked.
“I’m wanting to set up camp just outside of town so I can spend more time with nature,” the Goliath explained. I nodded to show I heard, but my heart dropped a little. I had really enjoyed having him close by... and for a moment I dreaded the thought of being alone in the room or worse, sharing it again with the Drow.
Harbinger seemed to sense my apprehensiveness, “Blackwing, you’re welcome to share the camp with me,” he said, a warm smile on his face, “In fact anyone from our party who wants to camp there is welcomed,” the Goliath added looking to Abu.
The cleric and I agreed that we’d stay in his camp. And so as we walked to the Chalice Inn, Harbinger made note of wanting to get a ram’s head, a wooden box, and a large tent. I already had a large tent due to wanting the extra space for my wings, so I offered it to the Goliath to use without a second thought.
“Uh... are you sure about that Blackwing?” Harbinger asked, seeming nervous.
“Yes. I have a perfectly usable tent and you’re welcome to use it.” The Goliath thanked me and said no more about it. However as we walked, the thought came to my mind, ‘so where are you going to sleep?’ I mentally hit my forehead. I did not anticipate sharing the tent and wasn’t expecting Harbinger to do so. And so I settled in my mind that I was either to buy another tent for myself or, to spare my pride, just sleep under the stars.
Shortly we walked into Larland’s Chalice Inn. Dale was less than impressed by Harbinger’s new armor. In fact it offended me how rude he was to the Goliath. The Innkeeper made comment that he looked ready to go to the ball with the Prince! Somehow Harbinger found humor in the insult. I finally interjected myself into the conversation and told Dale we were there to close up our tab. He mentioned he needed to do the math since the renovations on the room we let a combustion spell off in was still in progress.
I asked if Harbinger had left anything in the room. He said no and so I left my key with the Innkeeper and mentioned we would be around. Dale said he’d have a bill for us in a few days.
We then went out and purchased some of the items the Goliath was wanting. While we shopped around, I purchased for myself a few things as well; wolf hide, a belt, a needle, and heavy thread. I missed the Mangoelar look and wanted to make an outfit that reflected it somewhat. 
Harbinger bought some large javelins, a wooden box that was about a foot long, and... eventually a ram. The ram was a bit of a debacle... As a group we went to a butcher shop and there Harbinger asked if there was a ram head he could buy. The butcher eyed him up and down and refused to sell him one, thinking he had perverse intentions with it. The Goliath even explained that it was for his God, Kavaki, but the man wouldn’t budge. He even began to claim that we were part of a cult. It was awkward and we left immediately- after Harbinger mentioned going and buying a live ram to sacrifice...
Abu said that the market across from the graveyard would have livestock for sale. And so we made our way there. On the way I mentioned to the Goliath that when we buy the ram that it would probably be wise not to mention what the specific purpose of the animal was to avoid another culture clash. If the seller inquired, then we could say it was for dinner.
We found a farmer who had a few rams for sale. He was very respectful to Harbinger when he asked if he could buy a ram. No doubt it was the new and finely crafted armor that solicited, unintentionally, wealth and power. However the Goliath made the mistake of admitting to have never bought a ram before.
“Oh?” the man said in surprise. He then eyed Harbinger up and down before looking to the side and saying, “Well, this is just a humble ram of mine and so the going cost is... 25 gold pieces.”
I scoffed loudly at the price. “Unless it’s horns are made of pure gold, that is absurd,” I said flatly.
Harbinger, who’s smile faltered, turned to me and asked, “What would be a fair price then?”
“2 gold,” I said after a moment. My father sold our sheep for 5 silver a head. So I figured one; the man was poor and could use the money, and two; 2 gold would be more than generous.
“You heard the lady. 2 gold,” the Goliath repeated.
“Well my Lord, you certainly don’t intend to rob a poor fellow? I couldn’t possibly part from this goat for less than... 15 gold,” the farmer persisted. Harbinger looked to me again. I rubbed my temples and shook my head. The man was taking advantage of how the Goliath was dressed and it made me angry. We needed the money just as much as he did, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to be slightly more generous.
“5 gold.”
The man took his cap off and wrung it in his hands. He looked imploringly at Harbinger, I’m sure hoping that he’d overrule my suggestions. “Please sir, this is the finest goat I’ve ever raised. He’ll sire you a fine herd.”
“Are you kidding? I’m going to eat him,” the Goliath responded nonchalantly. The man became remorseful as the purpose of his ram rang clear. Harbinger looked to me with a confident smile.
“Yes! You see, where I come from, goat is a delicacy. So um, I’m really hungry and fancy a goat,” he explained. I placed a hand on my temple again. It was taking too long to buy the goat and I was ready to go seek a ram elsewhere. “Now the lady said 5 gold and I believe that to be fair.”
The man continued to push the value of his ram to being no less than 10 gold. Harbinger even whispered in my ear if he should get mean. I shook my head to which he asked if we should walk away. I favored that idea and was about to suggest we go when a little boy ran up.
“Father!” the boy shouted as he ran past us and to the farmer, “Sister’s coughing up blood again,” he tried to whisper. My eyes went wide as my heart went out to the young lad. I looked at the farmer as he looked in disbelief at his son for a moment. He then began to shake his head with a grave look upon his face.
“I know...we’ll hopefully have the money for the medicine later,” the man responded not so quietly. I looked at him angrily. If the reason for selling his goat was to help his daughter, then why hadn’t he said something? I still couldn’t help but feel he was trying to cheat us, especially after refusing Abu and Harbinger’s help (he claimed it was something that could only be cured by some rare herb that the Clerics at Pelor had).
But the boy... I felt bad for him and his sister.
“...Pay them the 25,” I said defeated like.
“No Blackwing, we’ll go instead. That isn’t our problem to deal with” the Goliath said. As he and Abu walked away, I reached into my haversack for 3 platinum pieces and tossed them toward the man and his boy. I scowled at the man before turning to walk away,
I jumped a little as I looked up and saw the Goliath marching back toward me.
“If you’re going to give them that money, then we’re taking that goat!” he barked. The farmer allowed the Goliath to take the ram. I quickly followed after, my eyes averted and feeling shamed. “I thought we were being generous by paying 5 gold!” Harbinger berated me as we walked away. I held my tongue. I didn’t want to explain myself...

✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻
Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment