Monday, March 23, 2015

Grendel's Demon pt. 3: A Ballad and Planning

Previous Entry



✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


As we walked, Tornar questioned us about our familiarity with the Elves. We explained our situation about how the Druidess wants us to assassinate some of the town folk. At first we were reluctant, but now, with all we’ve learned of the town, some of those listed we’re more inclined to dealing with, the Mayor being the first.
Bal Vyr eventually brought up the ballad again. It was titled ‘The Ballad of Urrok Gann.’ Trickfoot took a look at it and read it allowed:




The ballad was quite chilling. I’m not entirely sure, but it would seem whatever the great beast was is now contained inside the orb, like a prisoner to Pelor’s might. Yet if the darkness inside it was the monster that Urrok Gann was defeated by, are we that evil? The same darkness in the orb is marred on our skin. However, what evil is there to be had by me when I restored everything to it’s own perfection upon my death?
Soon the conversation changed to the fact we would have easy access to the lumber mill and therefore could investigate the situation of the Elves with them. The manager was on the hit list and part of me could only hope he wouldn’t be as disagreeable as the Mayor and Captain Skawsdin.
Harbinger suggested that we first try and scope out the town. He wanted to go in because he had been hurt in a manner that he needed the clerics at St. Cuthbert to help him. While doing so, he’d see how things are going, especially considering we were given a way out with no explanation. Bal Vyr told the Goliath that if he was the one to go in, he’d best use his ring to disguise to himself. Other than that, everyone, even my reluctant self, agreed that was a good idea.
I was getting quite weary by the time we settled for the night. We didn’t want to get too close to town, but it felt like a good distance from where we encountered the Elves to call it a night. I had offered to keep watch, but the men said they had it covered.
We all situated ourselves in a circle. There was something about all of us together. We’re each so very different, yet I felt safe with them. It was like... family almost. Why had I never felt this way when I was with Isaac and the others? No, I take that back. The others I never felt close to, but Isaac I miss. He was so... obnoxious, but he always had my back.
Part of me wishes we could have had a fire, but not wanting to attract the Elves, a cold night would bode better for us. I wrapped my cloak about myself and laid down next to Harbinger. I don’t know how he’d handle the night. With his armor off, he was only sporting pants.
“Bummer I don’t have my- er, our tent on me. It’ll be a bit cool tonight won’t it,” I whispered.
“It won’t be that terrible,” he responded. He was laying on his back and opened his arm up for me to join him, “I’ll keep you warm.”
I hesitated a moment. Part of me felt shy with everyone laying about, yet part of me figured why not? So I moved into his arm and rested my head on his shoulder. It was definitely warmer and part of me wonders if Goliath’s are naturally resistant to the weather. Would it be weak of me to not be able to tolerate the elements on my own the majority of the year? It then got me wondering if I had anything to offer in a Goliath’s tribe. I can’t heal, I’m no druid, I am not a great hunter and gatherer, let alone I’m so small and by comparison, frail.
Frail... no. I had my strength. If anything, my flight would help me keep up with Harbinger’s people. I know I’m getting stronger every day as I practice. Also, as to my usefulness in a tribe, I was a shepherd! Granted it was centuries ago, but surely I could do that as my way of contributing!
“Harbinger, what kind of animals did your tribe raise?” I asked.
“Hmm, not many. Last I saw, we had small eagles and hawks. Sometimes wolves,” he listed, “There was a time when we had Great Eagles. Oh, and my mother had a lioness. She’d have a litter of cubs in the summer in which we’d help raise them.”
“What about sheep and cattle?” I asked hoping he had forgotten to mention them.
“No,” the Goliath replied, “We’re nomadic and live in the mountains, so we’ve never had any livestock.”
My heart sank. There goes that, I thought. “Right, you get most of your game from hunting,” I mentioned glumly.
“Why do you ask?”
A small sigh escaped me. “Contemplating my usefulness in a tribe. I was a shepherd before I was Exalted. I was mildly hoping that sheep or goats were common among your people.”
“Really?” Harbinger asked. I gave a nod of my head. “Well that is mighty fortunate then. It’s not my intentions to always stay in the mountains, Blackwing. I actually want to bring my tribe out and develope a place where we can farm and have livestock. So it is useful that you have that skill. I would love to learn one day.”
I beamed. If Harbinger was serious, then I’d have a huge part to play. I lived in a farming community and have the experience to aid in his desire to have his people settle.


No comments:

Post a Comment