Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Lone Hellbred

Previous Entry

The Lone Hellbred

I followed after the two as they continued to ignore me. Granted Araja was preoccupied with her agenda while Heinul tolerated my presence. It was curious to discover that Sven was the true evil, something I had suspected but now had confirmation.
As I waited patiently, hoping Araja would obtain her freedom, what I was silently dreading began to unfold before me. Heinul announced that they would need to remove each other’s circlet from the other. The parasite had become too much apart of them and now they needed to die.
Araja looked at me with her empty eyes and her smile faint.
“You will be missed Isaac,” she said, “Thank you for always being there. You were always so good to me despite my childish fits.”
I clasped my hands tightly behind my back, to keep Araja from seeing them shake. This was it. She had chosen her death over me. A contrite thanks being all she had ever given me in return for my devotion. I’ve been tossed aside and only now do I see it. My Dwarven friend was right, there was no one for me in this world... I dug my nails into my skin in an effort to steady my voice.
"So this is your choice then?” She nodded. It felt like pieces of me were slipping away. “Goodbye then Araja. I will think fondly of you from time to time."
A single tear escaped each of my eyes. The first tears I’ve ever cried in my four long years of life. Araja nodded and flashed one of her rare smiles toward me. I’d do almost anything, even die, to be her everything.
I watched as she grasped Heinul's circlet and He hers. I watched as He filled her with His holy might and counted down from 3. Then the sound of cracking bones filled the air as they purged one another of the cursed circlet. Heinul collapsed immediately. Araja eyes stared off in the distance, wide with shock.
"Save... Harbinger... please," was barely uttered as she gave me one final glance. Her knees then buckled and to the ground she fell.
I made no attempt to catch her. Her final words were of a man from her half crazed ravings. Yet as I looked upon her lifeless body, she was all I could see and I was powerless against her. I never thought I would mourn the death of anyone, but her... I’ll mourn, and what would never have been, for the rest of eternity.
Darkness then swallowed my heart. Though she had broken my heart, she still held its pieces in her hands.
I looked upon her broken body, waves of emotion crashing against me like the ocean against a lighthouse. I continued to stand in place, scouring my mind of her memories. I saw her how I remembered first seeing her in the village square of Podunk. My emotions churned as I replayed every memory I had of her to the very end. Then, when there was nothing left to remember, I pulled my emotions around me like a heavy cloak. My rage, anger, and love. Soon nothing was left, or so I thought.
A faint intake of breath escaped her lips. I looked closely, unsure if my eyes deceived me. Once more, a shallow gasp, her lungs raising and falling ever so subtly. I had to act fast. I grabbed her blood soaked hand, tossing the circlet it clutched aside. Then channeling the magic of my amulet, I beckoned unto it for a place, anywhere, as long as it was safe and away from this world. Somewhere that would protect her from the current eviil. I felt the magic engulf us, pulling us wherever it saw fit. The haze and fog, that had barely encompassed us, soon faded.
Trees were all around where marble halls and dead Angelic once littered about. Among the trees were buildings, tree houses really. And in the tree city were curious folk I never seen before. They were literally birds! Perfect! I thought, Araja should feel right at home. I was noticed by them as I demanded their help. Together we got her into a home and healers were soon at her side, preserving what little life she had left. I waited, hoping her eyes would flutter open. Instead I was pestered about who I was and what she was.
I explained that Araja was an Angelic. They almost lost their minds at that. Apparently angel folk in their world are mindless servants that bring about their Gods will and not necessarily in a pleasing manner. I assured them that she was no longer subject to a deity and had full range of her accountability. I left out the chaotic details that lead to many of our less than grand adventures.
The Aarakocra (I think?) were a kind folk. I paid them what I could saying I had business to attend to, what with saving the world and all. But I promised I would pay them back any costs Araja imposed beyond what was paid for, once I returned.
For I will return.
I went back to her bedside. Though she breathed, it still panged my heart to see her laying peaceful like, as though she were dead. In away she was, for she never would love me. I took her hand once more and clenched my jaw tight as I prepared to say goodbye.
"This... It's almost like a disease. I know soon you will be over the lies. You'll be strong. You'll be rich in love and you will carry on, but no...... you won't be mine." I finally whispered, my last words of love for her. I then grasped the amulet once more, thinking of the town of Pride where I last saw Cortanna, Penelope, and that wretched Kedra! The new world soon faded and the familiar city I had left formed in front of my eyes. Anger laced my heart. Sven took from me my love.
Harbinger indeed. The world will need one to protect itself from me.


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment