Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 115: Part 2: Goodbye

Previous Entry

✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻

I was surprised to find Raæin suddenly next to me when I had finished journaling.
“There is nothing more I can do for those from Rehm, mistress,” Raæin told me, “I’m ready to move on. You’re welcome to come.”
It bothered me a little how quick he wanted to go. It bothered me he still called me mistress.
“Can you give me a few more minutes Raæin?” I asked. He nodded. I quickly began to write on a page in my journal.


Isaac and Cortanna,

Thank you for not making it harder for me than it already is with my decision to depart. I don't want this to be our last goodbye. I have every intention to return... but I am unsure when I'll be able to. I hope in this time away from the quest, away from death and misfortune, I'll be able to heal and find that inner strength I once had.

I paused for a moment as I contemplated what else I should add. I had to give a deadline, something they could look toward rather than wonder. 3 months sounded appropriate. Hopefully it wouldn’t be too late. I also withdrew a few feather tokens from my belt.

I anticipate in 3 months I should be ready, but I can't promise. That is why I've left these two feather tokens. They are able to carry a small message to anyone person. If you find that you need my assistance immediately, send word and I'll send my response. If I find I'm ready to return sooner, I'll send a token to let you know. I'm thinking just outside the mines near Podunk on Oukhd 18th. I would recommend finding more 'bird' feather tokens in case we need to correspond more.
Good luck, keep safe, and I do hope we meet again.

Sincerely,
Araja Eloirakn
Then for precaution I added:

P.S. Stay alive.

I carefully ripped the page from my journal and folded the feather tokens in it. I got up and watched Cortanna as she returned unscathed. The creature that stood next to her looked like a mere horse with flowing mane and tail.
"Now that is a fine mount, Cortanna. Far better than that last one," Raæin praised. Cortanna looked mildly bashful. I gave a small smile at Raæin giving his blessings to Cortanna’s new found friend. I suppose that was a bit of good news for the party.
I gave the note to Isaac.
“I hate to say goodbye, but I think this will be for the best. I will miss you," I said. I quickly gave each a hug. I kept it quick because though I didn’t feel it before, there was a love of those two. We had been through much. They may not have been the most supportive of friends, but they were there even in my darkest of moments.
I looked at Kedra. I hadn’t gotten to know her. Hopefully she’d get a better impression of our quest through Cortanna and Isaac without me around to throw in my crazy.
"Sorry I can't stick around and get to know you better Kedra, but I wish you all the best. Take care." I then went over to Raæin and hopped up on him. In a moment we were gone. There was no opportunity for me to look behind, but that was okay. I didn’t want to look back.
It was late morning now. At a quick glance we were in a farming community. It was a sorry sight though. Crying could be heard. The smell of illness and death was thick in the air. The hair on the back of my neck prickled.
I slid off of Raæin who then changed into his Mira form. I don’t know if I’ll ever get use to seeing him as a person. But at the same time, it was oddly comforting. Like I had a father figure once more. His hair and fur was white with some gray. He looked middle aged, not quite as old as Bor, but older than my father. The few areas of tan skin looked weathered which matched the clothes he had on... Hmm, he and I both needed new clothes. Raæin lacked clothes while the lake water took a toll on my mine. Thank goodness our circlets provided a disguise for moments like these.
“Mistress,” Raæin spoke reverently, pulling me from my thoughts, “this is a place that needs us. Let us go help them,” to which Raæin led the way. I followed after him. As we walked the dirty road that was sparsely lined with farm homes, I felt a bit inadequate. I didn’t have anything to heal with. My belt of healing wasn’t recovered from the lake and I couldn’t be of assistance to anyone other than cleaning them and attempting to be soothing versus awkward and insensitive with my words.
“Raæin, I don’t know what to do. I am here to assist you. For once, I’m to follow you,” I said respectfully. Raæin gave a nod but said nothing.
We approached our first home. Moaning could be heard from inside which made my stomach churn.
“Go find the people Araja,” Raæin instructed, looking me in the eyes before approaching a house, “Give them comfort. There is nothing more deadly to the weak than fear.” Raæin then walked into the home. I stood for a moment before heading on to another house, seeking out the people.
The town we were in was Corban. It wasn’t familiar to me, but I had heard of it. The rest of the morning and well into the early afternoon was spent with me comforting the homes, telling them we were there to help.  The people of Corbin had no recollection of who I was, or perhaps they were too ill to show recognition. The blindness didn’t help either. It was clear everyone was sick and blind because of the illness. Once more the hairs on the back of my neck prickled as the thought of the Boqor crossed my mind.
There was a warmth inside being able to see some comfort and joy come to the people as hope to live showed on their countenance. After tending to most of the people, I then examined the condition of the farms. It was primarily cows for livestock with horses, sheep and pigs, scattered about. They seemed fine enough, though I would need to care for them over the days Raæin and I end up staying.
I could see on the outskirts of the town, large fields. I examined them and could see they were growing wheat. The stalks were still green, but in a few more weeks, they’d be ready for harvest. I checked the soil and it still felt moist. No need to worry for another day or two about water.
Then it occurred to me I should prepare food for the survivors. They had to have been starving. I located the wheat mill and I went about preparing what I could with the wheat and salvageable produce I could find. Home to home I went intent on feeding, bathing, and cleaning those I could. The first home I made it to, a little boy named Kein, asked if I had seen his dog. I told him I wouldn’t know if I had. The boy informed me his dog was brown, about as tall as his hip , and was called Doggy. I told Kein that I would keep an eye open for him.
As I went about to other houses, the day being mid evening, I spotted a brown dog in the town center. He was foaming at the mouth and was staggering about. I knew Raæin was too busy healing the folk and so I figured I’d try and isolate the dog.
I found some rope to use as a crude leash. Seeing the dog was diseased, I knew I had best restrain it some how. I tied the rope with a large loop to slip over Doggy’s head. The knot would tighten once I pulled on it and hopefully that way I could tie the dog up.
As I returned to the dog, I called out to it, “Doggy.” The dog looked at me and began to growl. I withdrew the rapier Isaac gave me. It was one of the many treasures the luggage held in it’s depths. The nice thing about the rapier was its invisibility. If I had to hit the dog and someone who wasn’t blind by the illness happened to see, they would see a fist striking the dog rather than a sword.
“Hey boy,” I said as sweetly as I could, whistling to the pup. Doggy definitely wasn’t partial to me whether it be his normal personality or the disease distorting his reality. He lunged at me but I was able to easily avoid him, his sickness making him somewhat slow. I then swung the butt of the rapier down onto the dog’s head. Doggy dropped to the ground. His breath was still ragged, but he was out cold. I knew I needed to quarantine him until he could be healed.
I placed him in an empty stable. As I laid him down a thought struck me. I looked at my gloved hand and remembered the dagger that was placed there (Yeah, I need to find a more secure place for it to avoid another antimagic field fiasco). I knew it’s magic was that of healing; strong healing. I figured it was worth a try. If the dog died, it was diseased and with Raæin’s focus being on that of the folk, chances were this dog would very well have died anyways.
Carefully I maneuvered the dagger to just prick the skin of the dog. Immediately the foaming stopped, the breathing slowed, and for a moment it seemed as though all was to be right with the dog as health glowed throughout his form. But then the last breath from Doggy hung in the air as his dead body remained. I bit my lip, frustrated that I killed the boy’s dog. I stored the blade back into the glove, cursing it in my head. Why was it something that registers as healing was still killing? I just don’t understand...
I found Kein and informed him that I had found his dog, but sadly he was dead from some disease. My heart ached knowing I was lying to a child about my mistake, but Kien took it surprisingly well. He looked sad no doubt, but he accepted it. I suppose understanding that a lot of folk and animals had died from the illness was what matured Kein.
The rest of the day I continued on to a few more houses. I fed and cleaned probably 20 or so people. Raæin healed a fraction of that. There is still more of the town to tend to and I am most certain the next week or two will consist of me caring for the ill, tending their herds and crops. Tiring work, but great for moral considering I was actually helping and not deterring for once. Here’s hoping I continue to find enlightenment through it and not become weary of it.

Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment