Saturday, November 9, 2013

Day 66: Isaac Has a VILE Theory


Baer 5th, 4288: 66 Days in the mortal realm

If I thought yesterday was filled with shocking information, today was far worse. And because my head is muddled with new truths or lies, I know I need to talk to Heironeous or Malfeiya. I don't know why I feel so confident in Malfeiya or Heironious in being honest, but needless to say I'm determined to follow through with this potentially catastrophic decision.
I first went back to the blacksmith to pick up Raæin's barding. My gut twisted as Billy presented me with the barding. From the quality he gave me and the protection it'll provide the Unicorn, it was at a bargain price. I could scarcely believe I only had to pay a tenth of the cost I would have thought it'd be. I then went to Burne and Rufus and was able to get more items from them (though I might be the cause why this town burns down unintentionally. Burne mentioned how he was going to experiment on making Shrouds of Disintegration after I inquired of his wares about them...). The general grocers had everything I needed except Health Potions. Apparently those potions didn’t work on the people in town. Only natural healing via the Clerics and Druids worked. Once done shopping I went to find Raæin and saw he wasn’t in the stables. I figured he was off in the woods since Brier was in there and he probably wanted his space.
I then went into the Inn and saw Rekka and Isaac still about, though they looked like they were about to go. Seeing them there, and with the conversation I had with Barrok that morning, I wanted to counsel with them. They were the only other two I felt had a developed relationship with the blacksmith. When I asked them for an audience, they obliged me and we went to my room to talk. Once settled in the room I looked at each of them, took a deep breath because I knew I was about to give a winded speech.
“So, I went back to the blacksmith to get Raæin’s barding. While there I asked Barrok some more questions that I thought he would know the answers to. This is pretty much what I got.
“Heironious isn't as... holy? Great? True? as I thought him to be. I asked him why was it Heironious didn't Exalt those who died that were good considering the mark had no power. Barrok said, ‘The mark used by Erythnul to mark his followers never barred any of them from being exalted. Highroneous just didn't want them. Admitting to his faithful that they had been killing their loved ones for no good reason seemed too painful, and so he allowed them to continue believing that they were saving their loved ones by killing them...and then Heironeous couldn't claim those souls because that would expose his failure to tell his followers the truth, and so he gave them to Erythnul.’
“This confused me a bit, so I asked, ‘Why would he have allowed it for so long? Surely he knew from the start right? Or shortly after? ...but- why did he allow Malfeiya then?’ Barrok seemed unphased by the thought and said, ‘Why indeed...if he knew from the start, why would he allow the lie to continue? Why would he allow his so-called enemy to claim so many souls, growing more and more powerful? It's almost as though they had planned this all from the beginning...and if that's the case, what role did Malfeiya play? The woman who supposedly killed Erythnul, and then allowed into Celestia...’
“It came across to me as though he was confused about the whole thing too. I tried one last question, trying to see if he knew what was happening with Erythnul and Heironious and if he knew about the girl involved expressing my concern that the girl might be my sister Meryth. Instead I am dismissed with Barrok saying, ‘I have told you all I can. I'm sorry you didn't understand more of it.’ I tell this to you because it would seem Barrok knows more of what's happening, but I feel he's withholding information. Did you two learn anything from your conversations with him? I assume you two have chatted with him... I’m just trying to understand better because right now Heironious seems so... not Heironious. I can't explain it. Like he's a regular person when he's a God who's suppose to know all and be perfect right?” I took in a few breaths, feeling the frustration from that mornings conversation creeping back in. I had hoped Barrok would have had more concise answers. It truly felt as though he wasn’t telling me everything.
Isaac looked at Rekka who stood still, both seeming nervous to speak. In all honesty, I knew I hadn’t really given them a reason to trust disclosing information with me, I’ll admit... I get pretty heated about things that jeopardizes everything I thought I knew to be right and good or challenges my character... but in that moment I knew I needed to learn more and I hoped that that one time they’d  freely give of whatever they had learned... I figured I could keep my composure that one time.
Rekka, being as bold as she was, ventured to speak first, “You call them Gods, Araja, but I've heard stories that these so call ‘Deities’ were once here in the mortal plain like you and me. They became so powerful that people around them called them Gods. That's why I don't believe in them. Like they’re there, but when you really think about it they’re nothing more than you and I, just strong in their magics.”
“Yeah,” I said, trailing off. That's exactly how I felt about Heironious. He was like any body else who's mind and perspective could change on a whim, “I just can't help but feel let down. At least I think I'm no longer concerned with the Gods... I just need to figure out why I heard my sister scream. If she's alive, I'm going to save her, if i can.” In all honesty, if she was involved, I doubt I could do anything because there were 2 deities involved.
“Hey, I’m glad you’re coming to your senses. You’re getting off the Deities and I'm getting on. At least you’re not responsible for fixing their mistakes, whatever that might entail for me,” the last sentence being said more to herself before she pressed on, “You mentioned hearing your sister. Did you meant right now or at Podunk?”
Though I heard her question, I wasn’t about to let it slide what I had heard her say moments before, “You're to fix their mistakes?” I questioned. Rekka kind of looked at me, her mouth showing that she was uncertain what to say. I then mused on, “I'm curious to hear more if you know anything. Maybe that'll be my cause now. To help you while figuring out what's going on with my sister. I'm still hung up on when I heard her back at Podunk with the explosion and all... part of me still feels that there's a chance that it's a ruse to get me emotionally involved, Heironious knows how much I loved her... but there was the third party who’s a female, as we know, working with Erythnul and Heironious. Question is, is it her, a Billy version of her, or someone else?”
“For that very reason...and I can't believe I'm going to tell you my plans, we need find historical documents that go way back.”
“Any era in particular?” I asked feeling some new found purpose swelling in me.
Rekka let out a sigh, seeming conflicted about letting me help her or not. After a moment she went on, “From the information we've gathered so far from the different sources, it would seem this goes back way before your time. At least whatever part I have to play. but the only thing I need to know that is from your time is what happened after your death. In other words I would like to know what Malfeiya..." suddenly Rekka stopped talking. Her mouth hung open as her brow furrowed, “I can’t believe I didn’t see this before! The key has to be Malfeiya herself! She’s claimed by BOTH!”
It was like a light being turned on at the realization of who the 3rd party was to the two Deities... That vile girl Malfeiya! Of course! How was it I didn’t see that coming!? I was so caught up on having heard my sister's scream to which I was blinded by who it really was!
“Maybe my sister is safe after all! It would make sense why Erythnul and Heironious are working together. Suppose they have an equal claim on Malfeiya her being marked and Exalted... yet, wouldn't they have just fought over who got her versus work together? Then again, she was strong enough to remove the marks of Erythnul... I dunno. It just seems so strange that those three are all in co-hoots with one another. What could they gain from it?”
“Like I know. And if I did we surely wouldn’t be sitting around here discussing it,” Rekka retorted.
“Well one thing's for sure is we should learn some more about Malfeiya. I don’t recall her ever being... evil, but what’s going on surely can’t be good.”
“That and other things. We need to definitely learn more about Malfeiya. We also should learn about the Elves, particularly in response to the ruins, see if soultrapping has happened in the past on the scale we’re experiencing, and see what else we can find on the Dwarven history,” Rekka listed, “You know, we’ve been the ones doing all the talking. I’d like to hear what Isaac has to say to any of this.”
We looked at Isaac who seemed to have been following the conversation. He furrowed his brow seeing that we were waiting for his opinion
“Well, what I know will not be pleasant, I can promise you that Araja,” a bit of nervousness welled up inside me at the notion, “I've heard from both Barrok and St. Cuthbert recently.b To be honest, I do not trust them, but what they have said makes sense with what we know so far.
“Barrok explained to me that ‘Gods and devils are not so black and white as they would have us mortals believe. We're- that is to say, they are much more like people than you give them credit for. People change their minds, change their ways, so can a God or devil.’” Isaac said.
“Yeah I got that,” I said.
“Well, Barrok was trying to break gently to you is that Malfeiya is manipulating both Heironeous and Erythnul. She seduced them separately, and stole their affections. After that she began to manipulate them, getting them to think they're working together and each thinks it's his own doing when in reality it's some woman pulling all the strings. What do they have to gain from it? Heironeous and Erythnul have Malfeiya to gain, and she stands to gain deific power. According to Barrok, she is working to combine the three of them into a single being, and eventually the entire pantheon.”
Isaac stoppd for a moment, swallowing before continuing, “If this is true, and if you did truly hear your sister scream back at Podunk,” he paused, hesitant about what he was disclosing with me, “then I find it likely that Malfeiya is actually your sister.” I became rigged as Isaac tried to continue to speak. Whatever he said, I didn't hear. I was gone. Any promise made to keep my cool was long forgotten about as the anger overcame me. The very notion he was making against my sister infuriated me to no end. I took one step toward his small frame and with all my might pushed him back into the wall, knocking him hard enough that whom ever was next door gave startled soud.
“THAT’S MY SISTER YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT!” I shouted at him. I don’t know if he shrunk under my rage or if my anger triggered my ciclet on accident and grew a little. Too bad my black wings didn’t sprout for more effect. Isaac just stared back at me seeming unphased by my response and firm in what he had said. I backed up from him before jestering at him as I continued, "You can't be serious? You can't! My sister Malfeiya!? She was a healer! Not a sorceress! She was newly 12 when she died and the thought of her doing such a thing as seducing two Gods is sick to think about Isaac!"
“I've only stated the facts as I know them Araja! Do you have a better explanation as to why you thought that was your sister's scream back in Podunk?!” Isaac spat back at me. I glared at him ready to kick his small frame around some more as he persisted on my sister being Malfeiya.
“Healers have often been called sorceresses, or even witches, especially in the distant past,” Isaac persisted, “And maybe she came to be called ‘Malfeiya’ once she gained the favor, and power, of the deities. Who knows how many years since the time you died, she had plenty of time to grow up. Or not... the Gods can be sick like that.”
I balled my fists up tight getting ready to strike. In that moment was when I remembered how out of control I was. I suppose I kept some control because I certainly didn’t harm Isaac other than throwing him into a wall... but needless to say I was quite embarrassed. I had promised to keep my cool no matter what I had heard.
I really need to get a grip on my anger...
"I'm sorry,” I barely whispered, fighting the tears that were trying to emerge. That was most frustrating. I wanted to be all stoic but my emotions always got the better of me. I bit my lip for a moment. Thankfully Isaac and Rekka gave me some time to breathe and calm down.
“I suppose nothing is known yet, but it would be a good idea to see if we can find out when Malfeiya was born since that may give way to whether or not your theory is right Isaac,” I said cooly, not meeting Isaac's eyes.
“Considering the little we know and that we only have ‘theories’, I’ll tell you what I learned from St. Cuthbert about the mark-” Isaac began before I cut him off.
“That it has no power whatsoever? Learned that from Billy and Barrok like I said earlier.”
“Yes well, St. Cuthbert says the brand is seemingly meaningless, as far as we know, but when those who are branded die they become monsters. Billy was an early incarnation of these beasts,” Isaac continued. He paused for a moment, “Now that I think about St. Cuthbert mentioned something about the water, which could very well tie in to what you were saying about Raæin the other day. St. Cuthbert has enchanted the river that flows through this town to mask the presence of magic over time, no matter how strong. The effects are not permanent to living creatures, but he did not mention what the effects are to items or permanent spells. He mentioned that if we drink it the effects might help mask our true identities, but I personally don't trust that.”
My stomach twists a bit at the information. I like the idea of the water being able to conceal me, but how Isaac said he didn’t trust St. Cuthbert made it seem like the water was poisoned.
“Suppose we experiment with it?”I suggested. Isaac pulled out a water skin and shook it. Sloshing sounded from it and I could only assume he had collected some to experiment with. I mainly was curious to see how long the effects lasted and to see if my invisible sight still worked. If my sight was unaffected then awesome, otherwise that would be disappointing not being able to catch people sneaking up on me while invisible.
“Hey Isaac, what's the deal with the map? You know the whole name thing? Don't think I didn't notice it," Rekka suddenly piped in. I looked at Isaac. I, too, was curious about the names that were listed before his. There was something about being a High Priest and Enslaver, but I was getting too emotional about stuff at the time to  remember.
Isaac shifted uncomfortably under the questions about his name on the map. I had to wonder if this pertained to his brand and wondered if he did know more about his past life than he lead on.
“The thing is that I don't know much more than you do,” Isaac began, “And most of what I do know is rumor or on the word of Deities that would say anything to bend me to their cause. However...I guess I do owe some kind of explanation.” Isaac flexed his jaw and pierced his lips before continuing, “I am unsure of what ‘Enslaver-Of-Nations’ might refer to, unless it speaks of my skill of the undead. May refers to the role I played in my previous life.
“I do not know why my true name is a blank. I imagine that it is due to the process that changed me to this,” he motioned at his horns, which had grown larger in the time I had traveled with him, “As far as for the title of High Priest... from what I've gathered so far, in my previous life I was the one who invented the method for creating creatures like Billy... Yeah, I was the one who did whatever was done to that cave next to Podunk. If you haven't figured out what that high priest title might mean by looking at it carefully, then I won't explain it further. I will warn you that the name is dangerous to speak where others can hear. There are powers in this world and the next that would have me create an unstoppable army for them, and they would know the meaning of this name. I thought crossing the ocean would-” Isaac stopped suddenly.
“”Cross the ocean from where?” I pressed. Isaac seeming irritated that he spoke too much, shook his head.
“Look, it isn't important. The past is dead. I'm not the man I was before, and I wish people would figure that out. If the Gods keep digging then they might not like what they find,” Isaac snapped. He seemed pretty bitter yet quite protective of whatever his ugly past might have been.
"Hmm and you're behind the soultrapped creatures... to bad you don't remember how you did that. Maybe you'd be able to undo your work,” I mused, half hoping he’d continue on.
“I've already undone one, but I do not think I would fare as well against the untold legion that has been created since my... departure from their ranks,” Isaac said plainly. We all stood in silence for a moment. One could almost hear how busy our heads where with the information disclosed to us from Isaac. Then in an exasperated whisper Rekka spoke.
“Wow...So I'm fixing all that. Great.”
“Whoever said you are supposed to 'Fix' anything, Rekka? If anyone were to, I would think that would be my job,” Isaac responded. Rekka straightened to her full height.
“Go right ahead,” she clipped out. The energy between the two suddenly made me feel uneasy, yet I thought it daft if they truly were debating who was to fix this ‘mess’ the God’s had made.
“Despite whoever is responsible for fixing it, I know I couldn't ignore this without good conscience. If anything I'll be here until this thing is fixed or else killed in the process... and the later sounding almost desirable considering what we're up against...” I said. Once again silence fell upon us. Considering the daunting task that was before us, it would appear that we had a lot to think about and optimize a clear cut strategy to go about it.
“I’m gonna head out and do some shopping since I have nothing more to add,” Rekka announced.
“Oh, Rekka, here,” I said pulling out a dagger I had gotten from Billy earlier, “the dagger deals elemental damage. Dunno how much, but that’s what Billy gave me when I asked for a dagger to replace the one I destroyed on the ooze,” Rekka took the dagger but before she could leave I also added, "Burne and Rufus seem to have a decent supply of magic items. They have a decent stock, I'd suggest checking them out.”
“Ok, thanks,” Rekka said and continued out the door, holding the wall as a guide.
“I’ll head out too. Need to work more on identifying all those items I won...” Isaac said, seeming annoyed by the tediousness of his unidentified winnings. After he left, I went about journaling, eating, and just lounging about. It wasn’t until mid evening that I figured I best go back out and check on Raæin, to see if he had returned. Interestingly enough, he still wasn’t there. Nor was Brier, but maybe Cortanna was out with her or something since I hadn’t seen her yet. I figured I’d check for Raæin in the morning since he seemed to be enjoying his time. If he wasn't by then, then I'll let loose my underlying worry.
By the time I’m getting ready for bed, everyone, except Rekka, had returned. Isaac said she’d be out for the night. Wouldn’t say why other than we need not to worry about her. We conversed about the day, Isaac and I purposely leaving out our conversation that we had with Rekka earlier. At some point we’ll need to get everyone on the same page, but I figured once we have a solid game plan that’ll be the time we fill the rest in.
Isaac also reminded us that tomorrow was the day we were to go to the evil temple in Nulb, He was going to wish for Y’dey in front off all the town Elders. That way it could be made known if she was good or evil, him suspecting the later.
Anyways, like I said at the beginning of this entry, I need to have a talk with Malfeiya and Heironeous. I especially need to find out who Malfeiya is for I hate the idea of her being my sister. It can’t be her for it would be the absolute opposite of who I knew my sister to be. I really hate Isaac for even suggesting that.


No comments:

Post a Comment