Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 78: The Ethereal Plains pt. 1

Previous Entry

Baer 17th, 4288:  78 Days in the mortal realm

A few days after arriving back in Hommlet and helping them rebuild, I figured it was time to try and hand over my wealth. I disguised as my blonde elf because I figured it might be better if I talked to Burne, Rufus, and Jaroo about the generous donation I was about to make. I got them together and pulled out my notes, explaining what their use was to be for. They looked at me and seemed somewhat thrilled by the donation, but they did make one crucial note; if they could find the wealth, it’d be appreciated.
Later I returned to my normal disguise and continued about working. By the way, in those first few days, the town was really coming together. Burne’s and Rufus’s tower was nearly rebuilt, considering how the destruction of the temple had destroyed what they had rebuilt when my party and I first arrived in Hommlet. I attributed the surge in rebuilding to the magic of the lyre Barrok had given me.
After those first few days. the rebuilding the rest of the week came about at a more normal rate for the number of people who were there and available to work. Once the new week started Jessica attempted the Lyre again but unfortunately wasn’t able to play more than an hour. At least for the day there was a surge in productiveness.
Also, during our time in Hommlet, Rekka gave Raæin a circlet that was just like mine. Apparently she had got it as a gift for Brier so she could communicate with us more easily, but with the sudden disappearance of the beast, she thought Raæin might like it. He accepted the gift, though I don't know if he'd ever use it.
Now as for today, a lot has happened. Gideon, Isaac and Cortanna returned a lot sooner than I thought they would. Cortanna went to get her hide dealt with while Isaac informed us that the ruins were a volcano. Apparently the volcano was linked to the temple we just destroyed. Isaac said that it was becoming active and destroying the ruins. For all he knew, it could very well erupt any day and destroy the town. Rekka, Jessica, and I looked at him dumbfounded. All our hard work and now it was to be destroyed again! I told him he best march up to Jaroo and tell him everything and see if he could possibly prevent the eruption since he was a druid. Isaac quickly went off and did that.
I kept myself busy by helping some of the folk assemble a building. As I went and gathered more wood, I caught sight of Jaroo and a bunch of other druids leaving a while later. They all seemed grim. How I hoped they could prevent the volcano from erupting.
Isaac gathered us all together to discuss where to go. Cortanna said it wouldn’t be until morning before her things would be ready. Not knowing how much time we had before the volcano’s destructive forces would be unleashed, Cortanna decided to pick her armor and shield up the next time we came across Barrok.
Gideon informed us that he was going to stay behind in Hommlet to help out. We said our goodbyes right as we felt the earth shake beneath our feet. We looked to each other and knew we needed to get moving. I couldn’t help but pity the folk we were about to leave behind. May Jaroo and those other druids that went with him find success in taming that volcano.
Isaac then took us into the Ethereal plains. I had never experienced that plain before. I could see parts of the mortal realm but it was all wispy. Isaac said it was a faster way to travel. Considering we had to travel to the other side of the continent, the Ethereal plain would definitely save us time.
There was excitement and apprehensiveness knowing we were headed to my home land, my home town. Was it to be as wild as the Clerics at Sardik suggested it being or would I find familiar sights. Would my home still be there?
As we traveled Rekka spotted some beings that I recognized as Yuan’ti. I had heard tales of them and they were in the books I had read in the Kingdom. They had captives and knowing how vile those creatures were, I had no qualms in attacking them. Cortanna oddly enough suggested killing the captives since they could very well be evil. I told her until the captive prove themselves as evil, there was no evidence against them. However the Yuan’ti were preparing them for sacrifice and had to be stopped.
Raæin and I charged in without much hesitation. The ten Yuan’ti present were little trouble for our group. In the heat of the fight, one of the surviving snake like folk grabbed one of the captives and killed her. He then grabbed another and threatened to kill him if we didn’t back off. As much as I didn’t want another soul to die, I wasn’t about to back down. I gave Raæin a look and subtly jerked my head toward the Yuan’ti. The Unicorn, in a graceful bound, leapt toward the Yuan’ti and gored him. The snake like folk was dead before he could react and the captive made it away safely.
Shrieks of pain rent the air suddenly. I clasped my hands over my ears. I looked around a moment later and found over two dozen dead Yuan’ti sprawled about around me and those of us in the encampment. Isaac had seen the invisible folk and used a spell that killed them all instantly. I was impressed with Isaac’s strength.
We freed the captives from their shackles and went back to the mortal plain. We found we were in the mountains to the west of Podunk. We informed the group (who happened to be a traveling circus) that the mountains had Goblins in them that were friendly. Some of the members were less than thrilled to be in Goblin territory even though we assured them that they were friendly.
Seeing how destitute the performers were, I offered my Dwarven ring of sustenance to the group. I forgot to mention the flavor that came with the ring and the half elf that put it on quickly found out. He wasn’t thrilled by it, stating it tasted like Dwarf. The Orc then took it and seemed to find it very enjoyable. I then gave them the rest of my rations, expressing to my party a stop at a town would be needed since I was then out of food. I also noted how I ought to invest in a ring of sustenance that had no aftertaste of mead. Isaac also handed over 2 other Dwarven rings of sustenance before we bid them farewell.
It was about 1pm in the afternoon. After walking a good distance from the performers we discussed briefly whether we should make camp. A very interesting predicament suddenly came to mind. Everyone, except Raæin and myself, needed at most 2 hours of sleep. Would everyone just wait around while Raæin and I slept our full 8 hours or was there a way we could travel so each of us were able to get our full rest without holding the group back?
Isaac summoned his luggage and asked it to make a bed. The luggage opened it’s mouth. I looked in and the creature had a very comfortable looking bed in it’s depths. I asked if he would keep his mouth open the whole time? You see, the thought was the luggage would carry me while I slept so the party could progress, but I worried I'd suffocate if the creature closed it's mouth. Isaac said it could keep its mouth open. Suddenly I was nervous that somehow Isaac was trying to trick me. Then, sounding exasperated, Isaac told the luggage to put me away. The velvet tongue of the luggage shot out at me. I was able to dodge it, but the velvety appendage got me on the way back, my scream of ‘Isaac’ being nothing more than a squeak as darkness consumed me.


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


No comments:

Post a Comment