Monday, January 5, 2015

Dark is the Night pt. 1



I was mildly surprised this morning that the Dwarf woman was alive still. I had half expected the Drow to slit her throat in the night. As it was, she was well and bid us farewell reminding us of her gratitude for helping last night.
The day went by rather uneventful. It annoyed me some to not hold Cloudbreaker’s hands as we traveled, but it was best since we were about business. Instead we kept to small talk, I learning a few more phrases in Gol-Kaa. For example, my name, Blackwing, is translated to Ua'le-Kath. It flows off the tongue better to say the least.
As evening approached, we came upon a few farmsteads. The guys wanted to go inquire about the Goblin raids, but seeing that twilight was almost upon us, I was of a different opinion.
“Hey guys, we might want to wait 'til morning since it may be weird for us to be knocking on doors at this hour.”
“No Blackwing,” Cloudbreaker retorted, “I heard whooping last night that sounded very much like a Goblin raid. If they are harming families like the she Dwarf suggested, then we need to stop it tonight by getting information.”
“Araja is right about it being late evening. This can wait Cloudbreaker,” Bal Vyr responded. And just like that, the Goliath and the Drow began to bicker. Cloudbreaker proposed a good point that if we went after the raiding party left, we’d have the advantage. Yet Bal Vyr pointed out that if we were trying to protect the farmsteads, that going in after the raiding party left did not help the people.
“Cloudbreaker! Don’t think you can bully us every time into doing what you want!” the Drow spat.
“When have we done what he wants every time?” I piped in.
“Shut up Blackwing! (Caw!) No not you! The big one,” Bal Vyr snapped.
“And don’t you talk to her like that!” Cloudbreaker defended.
“You know why your people are enslaved Cloudbreaker!?” My blood ran cold as the Drow said that, “It’s because Goliaths can’t be reasoned with and are so stubborn!”
The Goliath shook as he fought for control before his voice rang through the air, “Don’t you EVER say that about my people! I promise you Bal Vyr, if you so much as speak another ill word about my kind, I will gut you!”
The Drow smirked at Cloudbreaker. “That’s all it takes to get under your skin?”
“Stop it!” Abu and I spoke in unison, “Both of you,” I scolded.
“We are all tired and best rest before trying to approach any of these homes,” Abu continued.
“Yes,” I agreed.
“I’m not waiting until morning! I am going to get answers now!” and with that, the Goliath marched off toward the closest farmstead. I looked back at the two men who shook their heads. I let a sigh escape me before begrudgingly going after Cloudbreaker. If he was serious about getting answers, it wasn’t the best time since he was angry.
“Hey,” I called out as I got closer, “You’re too upset right now to do any talking.”
“Then would you do that?" Cloudbreaker asked without looking at me.
“What me?” I said, getting nervous. I wanted to help him, but trying to be personable with people never seemed to workout for me
“Yep. Just ask if they’ve been raided and if so when and what was taken. Maybe see if you can find out if anyone they know has had some misfortune with the Goblins too.” Despite the confidence the Goliath had in me, my gust was certain something would go wrong... somehow something always went wrong. Alas I figured I’d give my best so as to not let him down.
Cloudbreaker knocked on the door of the home. Some muffled voices were heard within. The Goliath took a few steps back which surprised me. I almost went with him when the door opened.
“Hello!” the man called out, looking past me.
“Uh, hello,” I said, worried how to come across as helpful versus nosey strangers.
“What brings you here at this time?” the man continued. Then it came to me. I would inform them of who sent us.
“Yes, sir, sorry about the hour of night. We’ve been sent by the mayor about some Goblins raids that have been happening in the area and wanted to find out if your farmstead had been attacked.”
“Oh! The mayor sent you did he? That’s mighty kind of him. Please come on in. Merielle just finished making dinner. Come join us,” the man invited.
“That’s very considerate of you. Thank you,” I responded as the man stepped out of the way. I heard the door close behind me and noted Cloudbreaker hadn’t come in.
“For heavens sake Riker! Why’d you let the demoness in!?” a shrill voice shouted. I looked over to see a thin, middle aged woman, coming out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on her apron.
“Good evening to you too ma’am,” I said cordially, stifling my hate.
“Did I say it was a good evening to you, fiendish one?” the woman responded.
“I’m actually an Angelic, thank you-”
“Liar!”
“Woman, the mayor sent her to investigate the raids that have been happening. Now be polite and set a place for her!” Riker ordered as he felt his way over to the table.
“I will do no such thing! She needs to leave!” Merielle demanded, “Since when did the mayor send out marked devils to take care of our problems?”
Not wanting to be in the home any more than the woman wanted, I figured I’d make my intentions clear, “Ma’am, if my presents is that much of a bother, all I need are a few answers and I’ll be on my way.”
“Yes, yes. We will answer any and all questions you have miss. Come sit down. Merielle will be more than happy to get you a plate,” Riker responded kindly.
“That’s mighty fine, but I’m okay with standing.”
“Miss, she needs to be taught a lesson in kindness. So don’t mind what she says.”
“Are you really just going to let that woman be in here!?” Merielle exclaimed.




“Yes dear and if you have a problem with it, you can just leave! You keep on telling me you will! That your aunt was right about me, but you haven’t!” Riker retorted.
“Ma’am like I said, I only have a few questions. If you can answer them, I’ll be gone right quick.” I pleaded.
“Ask your bloody questions then! But mind you, my husband’s not signing anything! I’ve heard about demonesses like you!”
I involuntarily rolled my eyes. The woman was going in circles and I was losing patience rapidly.
“Yes I’m sure you have,” I said dryly, “Have you-”
“You work for Scratch!”
“Hmm?”
“You’ve come to have Riker sign papers haven’t you!? Yes you want us to sign our souls over to you! Look what you’ve allowed in here Riker!”
“Oh dear woman!” I snapped, “I just want to know if you’ve been attacked! Has your farmstead been raided?”
“Attacked? Attacked!? Riker, she’s asking us if we’ve been attacked by those filthy Goblins!”
“I’m blind, not deaf woman! I heard exactly what she said!” the man responded before talking to me, “Yes the Goblins have been causing all sorts of trouble. My neighbor said the Goblins had attacked him. It was a while back. Killed his family in the night. to which he ran off after telling me about it. Those creatures ransacked the whole place!”
“So just your neighbor then is all you know of having been raided by the Goblins?” I asked.
“Don’t get me started on what they’ve done to me!” Riker said, running a hand through the little hair he had still, “They stole my cow! Romilda was the only thing I ever loved.”
“I’m glad the Goblins took it!” Merielle piped back in, “You loved her more than me! That damned cow!”
“When was cow taken from you?” I pressed on, ignoring the woman’s rants.
“Just last night. If she’s still alive she’s probably scared out of her wits,” Riker answered.
“Last night? Okay. Do you know anything else about the Goblins? Like their where abouts? And do they make noise?”
“They come from the hills, but others say its from jagged peaks!”
“Of course they’re from jagged peaks! That’s the most menacing place in all the hills! You’re bloody stupid Riker!”
“As to noise they make,” the man spoke over his wife, “I heard it, but Merielle here wouldn’t since she don’t listen to a darn thing! Them Goblins whoop and holler every time they come out.”
Merielle continued to make her protest known to which I massaged my temples. As Riker bickered with his wife, I loudly made my leave.
“Thank you for your time and welcoming me into your home. I will make my leave now.”
“Welcome!? Welcome?” Merielle shrieked, “A demoness is never welcome in my home!” I made my way out as she continued to speak ill of me.
As I walked past Cloudbreaker, toward the Bal Vyr and Abu, the Goliath quickly fell in step with me.
“Blackwing, are you alright?”
I jerked my head to look at him. It was there I realized I was shaking. I was angry with Merielle. How polite I had been. How unconditionally polite I had been and she spewed her venom words! Yet, I didn’t lash out. I took pride in that, but I didn’t want to tell Cloudbreaker what had happened, at least not yet.
“I’ll be alright,” I said and continued to press forward back to the men. Once we were gathered together again, I informed them of what Riker told me.
“Then let us go tonight since it would seem they will attack again,” Cloudbreaker stated. He was too determined to be told otherwise, so we all followed after the Goliath as he lead the way toward the only two hills with jagged peaks in the distance. Dark would be the night knowing the bled shed that awaited our hands. Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment