Monday, January 26, 2015

Harbinger pt. 1

Previous Entry

Harbinger
(Made it a point to use the strike threw every time I wrote the wrong name once the new honorific was introduced)


My body hurt so much as I woke. The cool morning air filled my nose and the light blue and pinks of dawn met my eyes. Despite the lead that seemed to lace my veins, I sat right up. The world spun for a moment before I realized my hands were clasped to something. I beheld a small, blue orb! It surprised me that it would be in my hands for it was exactly what the Mayor had asked us to find. It was warm to the touch and alluring to look at, but then my hands stood out. They were black, black like the mark on my companions. I had a feeling I had become my demon though how I was saved I knew not at the time. I scanned my surroundings to see if I could see anyone. Was Cloudbreaker still a demon? Was Bal Vyr and Abu alright? Were all the Goblins slaughtered?
I noted that I was on the side of Jagged Peaks, a mountain lion not too far off from me, but just beyond it were two people looking in my direction. Their silhouettes looked to be that of Cloudbreaker and Abu!
“Blackwing,” a familiar voice called to me, “you’re awake?” the Goliath’s voice strained. Whatever pain I felt vanished as joy took hold. I quickly scrambled to my feet, leaving behind the scythe, orb, and my haversack. It was Cloudbreaker! He still lived! And without thinking I ran past the mountain lion!
I threw my arms around the Goliath, my face taking in the heat of his chest.
“They saved you!” I cried. Suddenly Cloudbreaker braced himself against me as he coughed. I felt something spill on my back and when I pulled away saw blood coming out of the Goliath’s mouth.
“Easy there,” he managed to say as he wiped at his face.
“What happened?” I demanded, my eyes wide with concern. Yet, as much as I was concerned about that, my focus took in the blackness of his skin. It would appear our marks had covered us both in its grasp. The graphite like texture was overwhelming. I also worried for Cloudbreaker’s sake. I couldn’t see any of his markings...
The Goliath took my hands and once he got my attention again said, “Blackwing... Bal Vyr told me that I... that I killed you.” I looked away, not able to hold his gaze. It wasn’t that I blamed him, but it was hard to look into his guilt ridden eyes. He then fell to his knees, still holding my hands. “I am so sorry. Please... please forgive my weakness,” he pleaded. I scowled at Cloudbreaker.
“That wasn’t you!” I scolded, “You are not responsible for that." The Goliath’s eyes were still filled with hurt from what his demon had done.
“It may not have been me, but I am responsible.”
“No.”
“Yes.”
“I don’t blame you Cloudbreaker,” I said as soothingly as I could in the hopes to get him to stop trying to think it was his fault, “It's the blasted mark we bear-” a sigh escaped me. With becoming a demon and the change in size of the mark... "Cloudbreaker, I think you're right. The mark is different. Or evolved. Heironious may be dead, but who knows what Erythnul is up to-” I tried explaining when Cloudbreaker began to shake his head. I looked at him quizzically.
“No longer Cloudbreaker,” he spoke solemnly. He then looked to the side at the mountain lion that was still standing about. My heart quickened a moment as I recalled the danger we still were in, that was until the Goliath continued, “She has come as a sign for me.” There was a pause as he searched for words to say.
“Cloudbreaker is my past. Harbinger is my future.”
“Well, whatever. I’m just glad you’re alright,” I replied, “So what’s with the lion?”
Cloudbreaker Harbinger then faced the lion and spoke to her in Gol-Kaa. It sounded like he asked her about a name, but I can’t be sure. When the Goliath turned back toward me, he asked if he could have an hour alone. I nodded, feeling he was in need of seeking out his God.
I walked over to where Abu was. As he noted my approach, he asked if I wanted to pray with him. I gave a polite smile and bowed my head once I sat down. After a moment, I looked back to Cloudbreaker Harbinger. The lion now sat next to him. He stroked her back gently and part of me felt jealous, but at the same time I was happy for him. I know mountain lions are special to him. They helped him when he was exiled and dying... clearly a sign from his God if there ever was a sign. Or a really good coincidence that he happened upon the worlds nicest lion.



I then remembered my gear and quietly got up and walked over to it. I mostly was interested in examining the orb some more. I picked it back up and thought about viewing the auras about it, but quickly recognized the energy it exuded. The orb was clearly deific. My mouth opened as I stared in ‘aw’. There was no way I would give it to the Mayor. The powers within were too great for filth like him to take hold of it.
Then something strange began to happen. A darkness began to creep from the depths of the orb. The same darkness my hands bore. I furrowed my brows, confused by the eeriness that came about the sphere. It was as though our mark had some kind of connection to it. I then placed the glowy item into my haversack and began to journal.


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻

As I pondered about last night, or at least what I can remember... something peculiar happened. I was in the midst of reminding myself how foolish it was that I had become so attached to Harbinger. He died! What would you have done if the curse mark didn’t bring him back?
“I don’t know,” I whispered to myself. It hurt to think about a future without Harbinger. I also hated how attached I was to him already. Seriously! We’ve only known each other 13 days! Granted, we’ve been through a lot... and he’s the only friend I’ve got.
Still, the nagging torment of what I knew would happen one day continued: the Goliath would be gone while I lived on...
However, as I wallowed in what could have happened, a voice I hadn’t heard in such a long time entered my mind.
“Why do you dwell on such negativity?” my mother’s voice sounded. I jerked my head around trying to find Malaney, but she was no where to be seen. I then settled back into my thoughts and listened. “You did put it best a little more than a week ago my dear. ‘You can’t know joy without pain’.”
I felt a shadow hover over me.“So I’m to torment myself with this love knowing one day it’ll be ripped from my chest like you and everyone else I held dear?” I retorted. I then felt something touch my mind, like a cool cloth on a hot day.
“Araja, there will always be pain and sorrow to counter joy and happiness,” my mother spoke, “However you need to make a choice; to taint the good you have by focusing on what could happen, or to find enjoyment in what you have despite the inevitable future.”
I felt my shoulders sag. How could I ignore what would come one day through death? “Oh mother,” I cried, “I don’t want to ever be without him. Yet I don’t want to love him because I know the day he’s gone, forever... I’ll break.”
A warm tremor ran down my spine, very similar to what I felt when I first prayed to Heironious all those months ago.
“Daughter,” my mother’s soothing voice continued, “if you could search the whole wide world for something that could take away your pain, so you never had to feel love or loss again, would you let Harbinger go for that?” I furrowed my eyebrows. Would I? I wondered. “Or what about all the times you’ve loved someone deeply, would you give those memories up? Would you rather to have never known Meryth?”
“No! How could I?” I responded immediately. Then warmth in my heart spread throughout my chest. I could feel my mother smiling as I realized the wisdom in her words.
“You are smart in not allowing yourself to be blinded to the pain of loss, but dwelling on it will only spoil the happiness you have found.” I then felt a kiss on my cheek followed by, “Tajad kul em. Uil æaer Araja”
The fog lifted from my eyes and suddenly I realized I was still sitting on the hillside behind Harbinger. I quickly wiped away the tears from my face before folding my arms around my knees and burying my head into them.
Why did I hear my mother’s voice? I had forgotten how much I missed her...

✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment