Thursday, March 27, 2014

Day 191: Goodbye Gracious Town I Failed to Learn the Name of...


Coqoj 17th, 4288: 191 Days in the Mortal Realm

Another fine feast was presented this morning as I woke. I thanked them for their kindness and informed them of my intentions to head out in an hour. They looked somewhat disappointed and I assured them that their hospitality was well received and threw in that they’d be blessed for it. It made me cringe inside when I saw how happy that made them.
As I finished eating, I excused myself to go find Jet, the horse Isaac got me. I figured I’d best name him if he was sticking around with me and Isaac on our travels. When I found him, the town of Gnomes were busy making preparations for me. They had Jet washed and clean, though he wasn’t dirty to start with. The saddle was polished, and attached were various packs that had supplies for travel; rope, flint and steel, a pick for cleaning hooves with, soap, and a few other items that I didn’t was think necessary (like a mirror). They even strapped to the back of the saddle a fancier bedroll. It was thick and I knew that the it was the best I’ve ever seen.
To top it off, as I marveled over Jet and the items they were giving me, they handed me a bag. Inside was food. At a glance it was clear they had given me a fine assortment once more. I knew I would miss it once it was gone.
“Is there anything else that you might need oh great one from the Golden City in the Skies?” a Gnome asked as he grovelled before me.
“No, you have been more than accommodating for my needs. I hope to return one day.”
“We would love to have you come back!” some of the Gnomes shouted in unison.
“May we have your blessing upon us?”
I wonder if my smile faltered when I heard that. I think I managed to hide my revulsion to that comment. With a nod of my head and a wave of my hand I hopped up on Jet and had him begin to walk as I thanked the town one last time for their hospitality. The crowd of Gnomes followed me to the edge of town.
Once we were far enough out of the city, Isaac reappeared next to me.
“Araja, if ever you’re in a situation like that again, I would suggest you going out with a bigger bang,” Isaac counseled me. I glared at him, but I wasn’t really annoyed with him. I had a smile on my face as Isaac gave his example, “Something like, ‘Farewell and my blessing be upon you and your future generations!’ Add a graceful wave and maybe blow a kiss or two.”
I shook my head as a laugh escaped me. The thought of me doing that was ridiculous. Then I thought, why not? Those Gnomes probably would have ate it up more than my simple thanks.
“Sure, I’ll remember that next time.”
“You could have at least given them a copper for all they gave you.”
“Uh, Isaac. I have nothing, remember?” As soon as I said that, it felt ironic. I had no money yes, but I did have a fine dress and provisions for my travels. Isaac gave me a smart look as he too looked at me.
“You know what I mean Isaac,” I shot at him and we bother smirked our amusement.
“I’d give you my gold, but it’s ghost gold now. Only way to get it is if you took it off my actual body,” Isaac mentioned, “I suppose I should feel grateful Cortanna didn’t rummage through my things and take my stuff,” he added.
“That is pretty fortunate you still have your things,” I said.
“What happened to your things anyways?” Isaac ventured. I let out an exasperated sigh. I then explained the best I could what Raæin and I were doing before I was poisoned. The most I could remember were feet and that voice, ‘Oh hai, Arah-yah.’ That stupid accent. How I hope to kill that man...
“So are you looking for your gear?” Isaac asked.
“Nope. I would love to get my gear back, but how does one find someone she hasn’t really seen? No name, no facial features. Just feet and an accent,” I said somewhat heatedly, “Right now I just want to get back to France and find Raæin. Once there I want to say good bye to him and figure out what to do with myself from there.”
“Why are you saying good bye to Raæin?”
I felt my eyes hood and the depression set in a bit as the memory of my choice set in. It was a lonely choice, but hopefully in the long run I wouldn’t be so emotional with my losses.
“I don’t want to be attached to anyone or anything ever again. I can’t stand losing what I care about dearly. It’s... exhausting,” I tried to explain.
“Well, I’m not going anywhere,” Isaac said somewhat chipper like.
“Uh, right...” I responded. Isaac’s head hung, like I had really hurt him. “Seriously Isaac. I’m thrilled to have you around and what not, but I can’t let myself believe that you won’t be there one day. Strange things are always happening and if I lose you, I really don’t want to be emotionally involved to which I’m left crippled-”
“To be frank, you’re kind of mean for a girl,” Isaac cut in. I bit my lip out of frustration and hurt. I truly liked him as a friend but it irked me to no end that he was upset that I wouldn’t get attached to him? Yet I couldn’t help but wonder, was I really mean? To that I shouted in my head, ‘No!’ It was those sort of things I couldn't allow to plague my head. I knew who I was and what my intentions were. If there was anything I needed to do, it was to become better in my delivery of what I said and did.
We rode on further in silence. The charm and humor from our conversation moments ago seemed distant. Our silence eventually was interrupted by the sound of hooves behind us. I looked to see what it was. A dozen or more riders were flying down the road in our direction. The nervousness of people knowing who I truly was made it so I wanted to hide. I lead Jet off the path and into the trees. It seemed as though we weren’t noticed.
When the riders flew by, it was clear it was Claira’s father and a group of Paladins. They paid no attention to us as they flew by.
“I suppose I ought to just turn myself in,” I said dryly to Isaac.
“I could do something about it,” Isaac began, “Besides, I’m sure he’s just worried about his daughter’s well being, though that little snot deserves a lesson.”
“Still, they’ll be chasing after me. Might as well get it over with,” I said. Isaac shrugged his shoulders.
“And what are you going to tell them. You forced her to do those acts?”
“What? No! Isaac, that's just it. I’m innocent up until you revealed to me what you were doing. I suspect I’ll get off the hook since there’s no way I could have forced Claira to do anything.”
“But you’re not a Gnome. That alone will probably prove your guilt to them.”
I rolled my eyes. It was a possibility, but it would be fairly ridiculous if they did. I wasn’t too concerned either way. Of those hunting me down, they were the most harmless
I walked out into the path. The Gnomes were too far down the path and if any looked back, none too notice of me. Soon they were gone around the bend. I figured we’d continue on and if we came across them on the way, I’d turn myself in.
But alas, here it is night and so far we haven’t caught up to them. I’ve made camp and this bedroll really is something. Very plush. This should be a great night sleep.
Oh shoot! I just realized I never learned the name of the town I just left!


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment