Monday, June 30, 2014

Friend or Foe pt. 2: Friend


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻

As we walked back to the Inn, I remembered I hadn’t thanked Cloudbreaker for last night.
“Cloudbreaker, thanks again for last night. Not many people help me when I’m in distress. You’re a good friend,” I said.
“I look after my own Araja,” Cloudbreaker simply responded. I cocked my head. “I have more need of you at my side than a silver sword,” he added.
Warmth spread through me.
“By the way, still feeling alright?” Cloudbreaker asked.
“Yep. Still faring quite well.”
I then remembered I had thought about something I wanted to say to Cloudbreaker since the second day in this world, especially after watching him valiantly defend the town and validate my stand against Grendel’s cry for a massacre. However, I felt shy about saying it for I was unclear what Cloudbreaker even thought of me, but now I was certain.
“Hajarikn (hi-yar-reen), I want you to know I choose to follow you. I feel honored you'd consider me as one of your own. I respect your strength, your gentleness, and your same desires to do what’s right. Plus, this is your world and I seem to be an exile like you, so I really have no place to go."
Cloudbreaker let a chuckle escape, “Well I have no idea where I'm going, so we can blunder around together and try to find our way,” then more seriously continued, “It has been a long time since I was part of a tribe. It feels good to belong, even if, for now, it’s only with you."
We walked further on, I enjoying the peace I felt. I would always miss Raæin, Isaac, and Gemmel, but I had a new life and so far no one was out to kill me.
“So how long has it been since you've been out of your tribe?” I ventured to ask, curious about Cloudbreaker’s past.
“Over four years now...” he responded.
“How old are you?"
“21 or 22 winters, I think.”
I did the math. He was a new adult and had to fend for himself. He and I both had a rough intro into adulthood.
“What about you?” Cloudbreaker asked, implying what my age was.
“Would you really believe me if I told you?” I asked knowing the answer would seem farfetched.
“I don't see any reason why you would lie to me,” the Goliath replied. I scoffed a little before looking at Cloudbreaker appraisingly.
"I know I've given you plenty of reason to think I'm crazy or that I've exaggerate the truth, but I admire that you've been so civil with me despite whether or not you believe the things I've said.” I then looked away from him and thought real quick. “Let's see, a couple months back... or however long ago it was, I thought I was turning 292. I then regained lost memories and realize I'm well over 1400 years old. It’s hard to say if I’m aging again or not."
Cloudbreaker nearly choked when he heard that. I looked at him, his eyes wide in thought.
“"That... is a very, very long time. I’ve heard that some Elves can live that long. So I guess it's possible."
“Well, I'm not an elf,” I corrected, “I'm an Angelic. For what I know, while in the Kingdom, there was no more death. See I died a human and was Exalted an Angelic. Now I'm here and well... it's only been 7 months, that I know of. I'm unsure if any time passed between where I last was and when I found myself in that bowl.”
"What have you done with all that time?"
That depressing cloud suddenly weighed down on me. I felt my eyes hood as I thought about the past. Yes Araja, what have you done with all that time? the negative thoughts began to play. I shook my head and figured if Cloudbreaker really wanted to know, I’d paraphrase my chaotic life.
"It's a bit of a story if you're up for that,” I replied.
“Well, the Chalice is just over there, perhaps sharing it while we eat and drink would help?"
“Sure, but you’ll be the one enjoying the drinks."
“I noticed that last night. Why don’t you drink?”
I shifted uncomfortably. “Um, I just never felt the need for it. Never had it.” There was something that seem foreboding about it too. The men I’ve seen slobbering drunk, like Elmo and John, seemed to use alcohol like a crutch. Let alone it did little to make them seem respectable. Then again, like last night at the bar in the Chalice, how merry people were. Still, I did not feel the need to drink.
We walked into Larland’s Chalice Inn and once more were greeted by Dale. He got us a few drinks and a plate of chicken and beans. As we ate, I retold my life story over a couple of minutes:
"This is what I’ve done with all that time, Cloudbreaker. From what I remember, I was part of a prophecy and destined, trained up from my childhood, to defeat Erythnul,” my voice caught as I thought about mentioning how I murdered my sister, but I felt that was unnecessary for one, we were in a public place where anyone could hear, and two, I didn’t want to have to explain myself.
"But I failed. That was when I died, at the age of 19. I found myself in Heironious Kingdom, an Exalted Angelic, to continue to fight against Erythnul. Wars raged for hundreds of years. During that time I caught Heironious in a lie. He said marked beings couldn’t be Exalted only to Exalt a woman named Malfeiya, who was marked. I was cast out of the Kingdom, to which I went to the other Gods and waged war against my ex God.
“Then I was struck down by Nerull and sent straight to Hell," a small shudder ran through me as the thoughts of Hell came to mind. "I was tortured for 1400 years there. I try to not think about it and part of me wishes I hadn’t had my memories restored... Then I was back in the mortal realm on some other world than this, and stuff with the mark was still happening and, well, now I'm here, still dealing with the mark.
“I guess you could say a good portion of my life time wasn't spent doing much of anything useful.”
Now that I think about it, I sold myself short. I had invented a sanitation system! Though there’s no way for me to know if that had truly revolutionized the well being of the people in Dijon.
“I... am sorry,” Cloudbreaker said with a heavy voice. 
Surprisingly, though there were moments that still haunted me, I didn’t feel weighed down by my past. In a light voice I responded, “No need to be. It wasn't like you sent me there.”
Cloudbreaker gave a small smile. “I suppose you’re right. Well, we’re here now and I will help you get rid of the mark once and for all,” he announced with vigor. It was endearing, but I had little hope for it. Still I didn’t want to put down Cloudbreaker’s optimism.
“How I hope we can. That would be very fulfilling.”
“We will, Araja. That I am most certain of."
I smiled brightly not because I believed him, but because it was refreshing to see someone equally revolted by the mark. Someone who would be equally satisfied to be freed from it.
“So, what's your story Cloudbreaker? Why were you exiled?” The Goliath took a deep breath.
"In short, I was injured, badly, and my tribe had to leave me behind... I was left to die, but by the grace of the Mountain Gods I survived."
“That’s right. You mentioned that in the truth circle Lash made-” I cut myself off. Cloudbreaker and I both eyed each other before looking away at the mention of our fallen comrade. I then furrowed my brow for it didn’t make sense why Cloudbreaker’s people would just leave him, "Why would your tribe exile you like that, while you were injured?”
Cloudbreaker took a bite of his chicken, furrowed his brow in thought, and took a swig of ale before answering. "The Goliaths are a nomadic people. We do not carry what we cannot afford to. If we have to move, we must leave behind what we cannot bear. My tribe was migrating when I was injured and they could not afford to carry my broken body with them. It took me months to heal. I would have been a burden with no assurance that I would survive, but rather slow them down instead.”
I gaped at Cloudbreaker. I doubt I could ever just abandon someone if they were still alive, especially someone I knew and if there was a chance I could save them.
"It was right that they left me,” Cloudbreaker continued, “I would have done the same. I bear my tribe no ill will. One day I intend to return, when I have the strength to make a difference in the struggle."
“So why save me back in the bowl? You didn’t know me?” I asked, skeptical of his ‘I would have done the same’ comment. Cloudbreaker gave me a firm look.
“Because I could. When I was injured, my tribe could not."
I felt a little chastised, as though Cloudbreaker thought my comment was ingratitude.
“Thanks,” I got out, “I’m definitely in your debt.” I paused for another bite of food. “So what struggle are your people facing?”
Cloudbreaker looked at me quizzically, then his expression softened. “I forget you know little of our world,” he began. In essence, the Goliaths have a vendetta toward the Giants. During the God Wars, his Gods tried to remain neutral, for they, and the Goliaths, were peaceful and not warmongering. The Giants were told they could side with the evil  if they destroyed the Goliath pantheon. Cloudbreaker put it as, “Even in our neutrality, the Gods feared our strength.”
He went on to explain how the Goliaths were caught off guard by the Giants to which they all fled to a place called Tella-lu. There they attempted to hold competitions, for that was how Goliaths settled disputes, to decide who’d be fit to be King. Such competitions didn’t happen since they bickered over how they’d decide who’d their champions would be. To this, the Giants struck, killing and enslaving his people. With their forces weakened, their Gods too became weak. He wasn't sure if they really were dead or just enslaved. There was 6 Gods he had: Almighty, Brave Naki-Uthai, Wise, Bountiful, Scheming, and Dread (I can only recall the one God’s name).
I imagine the reason Cloudbreaker must believe his Gods might be enslaved and not dead was at his mentioning of their silence being broken. For half a century his Gods hadn’t done anything or spoken, that was until he received the mark of Naki-Uthai upon his chest.
Cloudbreaker’s tribe was one of the few that escaped the Giants. Before being exiled, his father had mentioned to him that were were possibly 8 other tribes out there. With the mark of Naki-Uthai upon him, he knows he’ll go back once he has the strength to free the Goliaths. His plan is to unite the free Goliaths, become their Chief (through competition), and with them destroy the Giants. He also plans to get the Dwarves in on his cause to eliminate the Drow, whom Bal Vyr confirmed had Goliath slaves. Those things are what Cloudbreaker is certain to be the will of Naki-Uthai.
I was mighty impressed with his resolve to destroy the Giants and Drow. I am curious as to what he’ll do about the children of each race... but needless to say, it was quite the vendetta he held. To be honest, I also felt uneasy by the thought of eliminating entire races, but I didn’t dare question it..
"Wow... that is quite unfortunate for your people. I suppose if you're willing to help me find an end to the mark then you can count on me to help end the Giants." A quick chuckle escaped me. "Now if only we can get Grendel to fight for your cause, perhaps his sense of Justice for once would be used correctly or at least there'd be a reason for his brashness."
Cloudbreaker rolled his eyes, "Grendel fights for no cause but his own. He will not help us unless he has something to gain from it. He calls himself a Crusader, but he is in truth more of a mercenary than I have ever been. I will not put my faith in that man to fight alongside me when it counts."
I gave a nod in agreement, with a sigh escaping me. "Grendel... I remember being like him once, so set in my ways of what I knew to be right and just and out to force everyone to abide by that code. Then, everything was black and white, but now... there's so many shades of gray. I’ve learned there are so many different types of good, like there are so many different types of evil. I still believe Grendel has good intentions. I just hope his eyes will open to the broader spectrum that Justice should hold before he does something that compromises us."
I took a long drink from my mug of water.
“About that mark Araja,” Cloudbreaker began, “it definitely does not bode well for us. We must find a way to rid us of it before it’s too late. I wonder if that book that priest of Pelor had last night might contain some answers."
"Well, let’s not get our hopes up about the book. This mark is so old now, I doubt there's any tangible history that could make us understand it or how to destroy it,” I began, but a thought came to mind of, what if? “Then again, why not? It's worth a shot, especially if it gets us somewhere.”
Cloudbreaker smiled.
As we finished our meal, I asked about his blue skin and the other markings to which he pointed out his skin was gray while the markings were blue. The markings were his connection to his Gods and spelled out his Fate. I stifled a chuckle thinking about the fates we had just received from Bakabba. But in all seriousness, I still envied Cloudbreaker’s devotion to his Gods. 
Finally we headed out and decided to focus on finding the others. 


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻





Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment