Sunday, June 8, 2014

Through the Woods pt. 3: The Undead and the Unknown


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


As we prepared to head into the cemetery, someone called after us.
“Wait!” She cried, “Don’t go in yet!” The poor redhead was so out of breath when she got to us that it took her a moment before she could speak.  The girl, Myranda as she called herself, had heard the priests talking about how we were to try and slay the undead. With that she handed us a bag filled with potions. We thanked her for her help before divvying up the goods. As we turned, Myranda offered up a prayer on our behalf. Whatever she said on our behalf, I felt a bit more confident, and that’s saying something considering what was to come.
We then looked to the gates of the cemetery and without waiting for Trickfoot to join us, we ventured in. Walking into the graveyard was ominous. The cold stones that marked the deceased seemed to create an icy coldness about the place. It didn’t help that soon after our entry they sun dipped under the horizon, leaving us in darkness.
There was a lone man tending the leaves ahead of us. Our attempt to communicate with him was short lived. Whatever horrors he had endured here has taken a toll on him. The grave keeper babbled something at us, pointing to the sky that was becoming increasingly darker by the minute, then stumbled off to a hut. The sound of wood barring the door was heard before everything went silent. That was until Bal Vyr broke out in a panic that the sarcophagus we were standing near potentially contained a dead Dwarf. I say, his paranoia of Dwarves and Elves is becoming annoying.
As Cloudbreaker helped Bal Vyr lift the stone to expose what laid within, a plume of smoke spewed from the stone casket. Bal Vyr was on his knees retching. As that took place, I noticed a large fog bank creeping into the graveyard. I tried sensing anything magical about the fog, but nothing registered other than our marks, some other spell that I attributed to be from Myranda, and the potions we had just received.
“What do you sense?” Cloudbreaker asked.
“Nothing unusual,” I responded.
Soon the fog had encased us in it’s grasp. It was easy enough to make out my party. I cautiously took a few steps from my them, attempting to get a better look. That was when I caught sight of the undead. About as soon as I saw them, they were upon us.
It was a tiresome fight. I had difficulty maintaining focus to get a spell off. The zombies attacked so relentlessly that it was a miracle I was even able get some hits in with my halberd. I had to retreat at one point when my vision blurred and I could feel the warm blood running down my arms and legs. I took a long drink of one of the potions I had received.
Feeling my vitals return, I took in my surroundings. I caught sight of Lash who suddenly disappeared into the fog. I would have gone after her, to see what it was she was heading to, but suddenly Cloudbreaker was in a rage and hovering over me. As I moved away from him I saw Bal Vyr on the ground, motionless. I quickly went to the Drow’s aid and splashed a potion upon him.
Bal Vyr came about in a fitful scream. He clawed at his stomach, clearly in agony. I looked on, uncertain what more I could do. I then recalled how painful my back had hurt when I woke up from nearly dying. Bal Vyr’s mark was above his navel and could be the cause of his pain. Once Bal Vyr calmed enough, we got up and pursued after Lash while Grendel and Cloudbreaker continued to slaughter the undead.
As we walked in the direction I last saw Lash in, a faint figure could be seen. It wasn’t moving, so we drew closure. As we got there, it was clearly Lash, but she had been wounded. More scary was the ooze I saw coming from her. Suddenly a tentacle whipped up and out of the ooze. Bal Vyr shot at it, hitting Lash's body. Another tentacle sprouted. The two flailed about wildly. What I saw looked reminiscent of the creatures we saw in the bowl four days ago.
“Perhaps if we heal her, it’ll stop the transformation,” Bal Vyr said. However, both of us were out of the potions given us. I quickly jogged back to the others.
“Cloudbreaker! Grendel! We found Lash. She’s turning into one of those beasts from the bowl! Do you have a potion I can use?”
“Kind of busy,” Cloudbreaker grunted as he grappled a skeleton. In one great squeeze, the Goliath shattered the skeleton.
“Araja!” Bal Vyr called. I turned around to find him coming toward me, “It’s too late. Oh, are all the undead... dead?”
“Yes,” Grendel said.
“Or so we think,” Cloudbreaker added.
“Great. Well, lets collect our heads so we can get the bounty and get out of here!” Bal Vyr directed.
“But what about Lash!?” I asked.
“What about it? I’m spent, you’re spent. We’ll deal with her later when we’re rested,” Bal Vyr responded.
“No!” I retorted, “We cannot leave her as a monster here to do whatever harm her new form will compel her to do,” I stated. Cloudbreaker agreed with me. Grendel and Bal Vyr shrugged it off. Baffled by their indifference to the threat still at hand, I went back to Lash. If anything, I could try and kill her.
As I rounded the stone grave marker, I could see the tentacle monster Lash had become, withering. I gripped my halberd ready to start attacking when the monster elongated. Two red dots that I could only assume to be it’s eyes, locked with mine. My breath caught as my vulnerability became evident. The creature then grew large, bat like wings before taking to the sky.
Instinctively I ducked down, uncertain if it would attack suddenly. My arms and legs shook as fear and adrenaline took hold. When I stood, I realized the creature had taken off away from the town. In fact, I’m most certain it took off toward the wasteland we had come from...
I rushed back to the party, still shaken at what I saw. Bal Vyr was muttering something about burning the necks of the Zombie when I approached.
“Hell, you look awful Araja,” Bal Vyr said as I approached.
“That’s not very kind to say Drow,” Cloudbreaker growled, “Araja is very lovely.” All of us cocked our head’s at Cloudbreaker. Never had anyone said I was attractive, let alone how did he mistake what Bal Vyr said? I imagine my whole demeanor was grim looking. Yet, I felt my cheeks grow warm for it was flattering. Still, I pushed passed the comment and gave the bad news.
“Lash is gone.”
“What?" the three of them in unison asked.
“I went back to fight her, but she turned into some other kind of monster, grew some wings, and took off!” I sputtered out.
“Wait, it grew wings and flew off? What’s holding you back?” Bal Vry asked.
“That doesn’t matter!” I snapped, “the thing is, Lash is... dead. Some monster has taken her form and flew off.”
“You know, those other beings that were in the bowl with us, they were marked and some of them turned into monsters,” Cloudbreaker mused.
“Oh great. We’re all ticking time bombs if we die then,” Bal Vyr exclaimed.
“I suppose more incentive to stay alive,” I added.
“Well, there’s nothing much we can do about Lash now. Best we go get our bounty and some rest for the night,” Grendel suggested.
“Right, let us make way to the Guard House then,” Cloudbreaker instructed.
“Actually, I have to show these heads as proof to those at St. Cuthbert first. It shouldn’t take too terribly long. I’ll meet the rest of you at the Guard House in an hour,” Grendel said.
“You’re going to need some help carrying all those heads. Plus, I kind of want to pay the St. Cuthbert folk a visit too,” Bal Vyr responded.
“Fine then. Araja and I will go see if we can find some Inn to accommodate ourselves with in the mean time,” Cloudbreaker announced. Grunts of approval were made and the party split.
As we walked, I mentioned to Cloudbreaker some of the Inns that I noted when I had briefly searched for a map earlier. Cloudbreaker liked the sound of the Larland’s Chalice Inn, it being a place that attracted guards and knights and the like. I felt somewhat embarrassed when entering. Cloudbreaker and I were already a sight to see, but we were at the time covered in blood. No one seemed to care much about it. In fact we were warmly welcomed by the Inn owner, Dale Sungaze. He had a wicked scar over his left eye and his head was bald and shiny. He definitely had the build of a fighter. Part of me wondered why he settled down for the Inn kind of life.
Cloudbreaker and him got into conversation right quick. He checked with Dale about the rooms and informed him that we we cashing in a bounty. Dale’s eyes lit up at the notion.
“Oh, cashing in a bounty? Might I ask what contract you’ve taken up?” Dale asked.
“Killing some undead,” I mentioned nonchalantly.
“Yes, we cleared the graveyard of the undead there,” Cloudbreaker added.
“My, that is quite fortunate on your part. I’ve lost many patrons to that graveyard.”
“Well, we lost one to the graveyard too,” I said defeated like.
“We, nearly lost one of our party members,” Cloudbreaker corrected. I looked at him confused.
“Cloudbreaker,” I began slowly, “we lost Lash.”
At the mention of her name, Cloudbreaker gave me a stern look.
“We don’t know what happened to her. Perhaps we’ll be able to fix it,” Cloudbreaker said with a slight menacing tone. I ducked my head, determined not to speak any more about the Cleric.
“Well, if she was had by one of the vampires... I wouldn’t get your hopes up there big fellow. They unfortunately begin to do mite awful things once they’ve turned,” Dale said remorsefully. I mentally shook my head. I was most certain that was not what Lash’s fate was.
“Yeah, we’ve seen some mite awful things lately. At least we’ve bagged ourselves a few heads.” Cloudbreaker replied.
“Ah yes. There are quite a bit of awful things to see around these days. But that’s besides the point. First round of drinks are on the house for you my friends and your victory over the undead!” Dale announced, changing the mood drastically. He promptly placed before us two tankards of ale and everyone holds up their drinks saying, “To the brave heroes!”
Everyone drank deeply while I just held my tankard, not letting it to my lips. I never cared for alcohol. It scared me to let my inhibitions down, let alone how unpleasant some folks became with it. However I must say the merriment around me then was something to be desired. When I noticed Cloudbreaker’s tankard of ale empty, I passed him mine. He gave a quizzical look, but didn’t really think twice about it before picking the mug up and downing it’s contents.
Once Dale had finished filling a few more orders, he returned to me and Cloudbreaker. It was evident that we were intriguing to him.
“So. You mind telling me of the things you saw in the graveyard?” he asked.
“Undead,” I said, somewhat confused by why he’d ask us such a question.
“Skeletons too,” Cloudbreaker added.
“Yes, but... were you able to get a look at any of the vampires that live there?”
“I saw nothing. Araja?” Cloudbreaker said.
“Nope. Nothing.”
“Hmm,” Dale grunted, “Well, I suppose they’re just rumors, but I’ve heard that the vampires dwell in that graveyard.”
“Well, we weren’t there for the vampires. No, our weapons are not quite suited for that yet,” Cloudbreaker went on.
“Well, I suppose it’s mighty fortunate still that you and your friend made it out safely. With the rumors of vampires there, I’ve heard that they lure the unsuspecting in with their mind powers,” Dale said. A chill ran up my spine. I recalled a moment in the fighting that I wanted to wander, but I brushed it aside. However with Dale’s comments I suspected that that was what became of Lash when she had disappeared.
Cloudbreaker was overly confident that no vampire would get him. Dale smirked at the Goliath and shook his head.
“What brings you two down to these parts anyways?” Dale inquired. I still wanted to know what these parts were in relation to the world and the continents I knew.
“We’re headed south,” Cloudbreaker answered.
“To the Barronies?” Dale almost laughed out.
“Yes.”
“By chance to do you have a map? I’m unfamiliar with this land,” I added in.
“Are you a stranger to these parts ma’am?” Dale asked while giving me an appraising look, “In fact, what are you? Some sky elf? I’ve never seen a winged woman before”
The naivety was equally welcomed and baffling. One, he didn’t have any pretence assumptions of my once holy ranks, yet how was it he knew nothing of the Angelic?
“I’m an Angelic,” I started. Dale cocked his head slightly to which I continued, “I once served for Heironious.”
“The dead God?”
“Yes, I know. Hence why I’m in the mortal realm,” I said, lying about my reason for being in this realm.
“So why is it you’re in our lands?”
“That’s what I’m trying to figure out,” I half truthfully said, “By the way, do you have a map?” I asked again.
“Nah, I don’t have any, nor have I seen much around here. Perhaps there are some of the Barronies, but you might find better luck at a shop or some merchant that caters to adventurers like yourselves,” Dale answered. I gave a nod, disappointed that the Innkeeper couldn’t give me what I wanted.
“That’s actually a pretty good idea Araja. I haven’t traveled these parts either. This is my first time being out of the mountains,” Cloudbreaker commented.
“Yeah, well, I’ve never been to Athvala, or at least this part of the world,” I muttered. Dale chuckled.
“Never been to Athvala,” he said to himself. I looked at him confused by his mockery.
“No need to make fun,” I retorted.
“So you really are a servant of the Gods?” Dale asked.
“Was.”
Cloudbreaker leaned in toward Dale, giving him a stern look, that he shot my way for a moment, when he said, ”Aren’t we all servants of the Gods?”
Dale scratched at his side, smiling widely. He was not deterred by the Goliath. No, he seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the conversation.
“Ay, some of us more than others, in varying respects,” Dale simply said.
Cloudbreaker and Dale then continue on about who Dale worshipped. Some dead God named Larland. I didn’t care much to listen, but my ears perked when Cloudbreaker asked about food. I had forgotten I hadn’t eaten since that morning.
“So what do you have in the ways of food?” Cloudbreaker asked.
“Just about anything that scampers around in the woods,” Dale replied.
“Bears scamper around,” the Goliath stated. Dale and I let out a hearty laugh. It was the first really laugh I had since Isaac had sent off that message to Cortanna. It felt good.
“Perhaps to you they scamper,” Dale chuckled out.
“Then how about deer?”
“Ah yes, we have venison,” Dale said before calling back for the cook.
“Cloudbreaker, we don’t have any money on us,” I whispered.
“But we will,” the Goliath responded.
‘No worries you two. I’ll put it on your tab,” Dale said. I felt nervous. I didn’t like the idea of using credit, especially in a land that I was unfamiliar with.
The cook appeared in the door behind Dale and was quite a sight. She was stocky and had a stern look on her face. Her eyes were squinty and her lips were pursed. It didn’t help she was wearing an apron that was covered in blood.
“Wha’cha need Dale?” she asked.
“Cook up a plate of venison for our guests,” Dale informed her. She gave a short nod before disappearing behind the door.
“You seem like an adventurer yourself, why have you opened shop as an Innkeeper?” Cloudbreaker asked Dale. Dale smiled and informed us that he use to be a soldier who worked for the Shield, whatever that may be. Pretty soon they began sharing stories about their battle scars. Dale had acquired the scar above his left eye from some devil, a barbazoo demon(?) (though one of the patrons joked about it being from his ex-wife). Cloudbreaker mentioned the scars on his body were from wrestling a manticore down the side of a mountain.
As they finished up with their stories, we were presented with a plate of venison, potatoes, and a loaf of bread. It was a simple meal, but considering the time I’ve been only eating rations and whatever Cloudbreaker could catch, it was divine. The salty meat and potatoes lit up my mouth. I used the bread to wipe up all the gravy left on my plate.
Once finished eating, Cloudbreaker realized our stay may have been over extended considering we had to meet up with our party. However with the tab we created, I knew it would be inconsiderate of us to try and leave on the promise we’d return. So I offered to wait.


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


No comments:

Post a Comment