Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Through the Woods pt. 1


Through the Woods
Cloudbreaker made breakfast out of the raccoon he caught during the night. It wasn’t quite as good as the fish stew. I also need to make sure I get myself a bowl or something I can easily eat from.
I followed the group, Bal Vyr and Grendel taking turns leading us. The wood was active with animals chittering about. I still hadn’t a clue where we were. The woods looked similar to that of the Gnomish Kingdom, but the wasteland we left behind... that seemed more suited for the Man Kingdom. Way too close to each other to be either of those places.
We had traveled for a couple hours when wood striking ground was heard.
“Elves! We’re being attacked!” Bal Vyr cried. Immediately I pulled my halberd up defensively.
“Silence!” Grendel thundered over us. He paused a moment before continuing, “We are but simple travelers, we mean you no harm,” Grendel spoke. I eyed him for a moment curious if he was lying or if that was a hint at him letting go of the town debacle. 
I looked to where his head was pointed and could see high in the trees silhouettes of folk standing about.
“Drop your weapons and back away!” someone called out to us. Trickfoot and Lash immediately surrendered their weapons.
“Give me reason and I will,” Grendel retorted. Cloudbreaker however stepped forward, offering up his sword.
“May I offer my weapon to your chief?” he asked. There was a prolonged pause as no response came. I was surprised to see Grendel take off his belt that carried his sword and let it fall to the ground. Even Cloudbreaker lowered his sword. Bal Vyr and I kept our weapons held tight. I had lowered mine to show I had no intention of being aggressive. There was no way I was going to wilfully give up my weapons, especially the dagger! I would rather have been rendered helpless first before giving it up. Yet in that same moment I didn’t want to endanger those I was traveling with because of my unwillingness.
“Can you guarantee that our weapons will be returned once we’ve left your realm?” I called out. I was willing to trust them, if it felt like they were being honest, but no word came. Instead rustling in the bushes came from all around us and soon a dozen archers were seen with their bows drawn. My grip tightened on my halberd.
Then someone quite interesting walked out. A woman, dressed in leaves and wearing a mask, approached our group. She strided, filled with ease, through the archers and I suspected that she was their leader. Cloudbreaker had the same notion for he went to her and offered his weapon. She pursed her lips at him.
“Pray tell me, what is it that you and your companions are doing in my realm? My archers have been watching you since last night,” the Elf asked.
“We’re headed south,” Cloudbreaker said.
“South?” the Elf asked when no further explanation was given. Bal Vyr quickly interjected that we were headed for the Baronies, stating that the woods were the safest way to go. The Elf narrowed her eyes on each of us. I felt somewhat uncomfortable under her scrutiny.
“So, you bare the marking,” the Elf finally said.
“We don’t know what they are,” and “Do you know about them?” Bal Vyr and Cloudbreaker quickly jumped in.
“Hmm, as with all those who bare it. They never seem to know what it is ”
“So you’ve encountered folk like us before?” Bal Vyr asked.
“Once”
“Could you tell us of them and their fate?”
“It was gruesome,” the Elf casually said. My eyes widened with fear. We were in a bad situation at that moment.
“By your hands?” Bal Vyr continued
“No.”
“Then whose?” Cloudbreaker demanded.
“There’s little I can do to help with your... predicament.” the Elf pressed on with little concern for answering our questions. We all passed each other a few glances.
“All we ask is to pass through your woods,” Cloudbreaker told the Elf. It was hard to figure out what the Elf was thinking through her mask. Her eyes were hidden to us. However a smile etched across her face as we waited for permission to continue on.
“There is a town south that you could assist us with,” the Elf drawled.
“What kind of assistance do you need?” Cloudbreaker interrupted. Like I said, I couldn’t see her eyes, but her smile brightened in a way that seemed devilish. There was something about her that was beginning to make me second guess us engaging her into divulging whatever scheme she had.
“I assume you have no knowledge of this place. The humans down river from here for a time lived in peace with us, but since have waged war against us and the forest.”
“Why have they done that?” Grendel interrupted.
“Yeah, what prompted this change?” Bal Vyr added. The Elf’s unnerving smile continued. I was then distracted as a couple archers approached me, looking ready to harm or disarm me.
“If we’re to help you, we very much will need our weapons,” I snarled. I could care less about helping her, but it was tactful for me to have said that since I didn’t want to part with my equipment.
“Of course,” the Elf said, waving a hand toward her archers. Her smile faltered for a moment, but she brought it back as she continued on, “Greed has brought this war between us. They’ve set up a logging mill and dammed the river. Both constructs have destroyed large parts of these woods. What they’re doing can’t be allowed and that is why conflict has risen.”
Cloudbreaker mentioned how the woods are sacred to the Wood Elves as the mountains are to him. He then inquired how long they had been experiencing this conflict. The Elf said it had been going on for 3 years. All of us were baffled that they’ve allowed it for so long and asked why they hadn’t done anything about it. The Elf informed us that her archers are very good, but the humans too have weapons and greater numbers.
“So what do you want us to do?” Trickfoot interjected.
“A group of outsiders, like yourself, could easily travel in and ‘deal’ with some difficulties there. If you can do this, then we’ll allow you to pass through our woods.”
Grendel, Bal Vyr and Cloudbreaker quickly jumped on the vagueness of the Elf’s demands. She was toying with us and we were all getting impatient. She finally confessed that she had three folk she wanted dead and that was the price for safe passage through the woods. Bal Vyr inquired about what would stop us from just skipping the town and heading on through the woods. The Elf informed us that the woods south of the town were also part of her realm, hence how they’ve kept in the fight with the Humans. Our main concern then was if we fulfilled this, would our passage through the woods be in safety?
“Certainly,” the Elf said. The vile smile of hers continued to play across her face. I was most certain she was lying and did not trust her one bit. What was the Human’s story to this? I wanted to tell the others, but I feared speaking allowed my concerns would only tip them off that I was unwilling to help. That alone could potentially have fatal consequences.
The Elf listed off three names. The Drow’s cool with the idea of doing the assassinations. Cloudbreaker, like me, disliked it. He stated that it was too heavy a price for passage through the woods. The Elf disagreed.
“What if we could come to a peaceful agreement with the Humans?” Bal Vyr said optimistically, surprisingly.
“I assure you that that is not a possibility.”
“There has to be,” Cloudbreaker said out of frustration, “you’re asking 3 lives for passage through your woods. That does not sound like a fair trade to me.”
The sound of bows going taunt surrounded me.
“Their lives for yours,” the Elf said to Cloudbreaker, “It’s a fair trade don’t you think?” Her eyes were narrowed on the Goliath.
“I don’t think you’d kill us!” Bal Vyr shouted boldly, “We’re your only option. You’re desperate. Wood Elves are swift and effective and seeing this has been a problem for you for 3 years? You need us!” he stated, punctuating his remarks with gestures.
“Yes, and if you think you’re safe here standing before me just because I’ve offered my sword, wood elf, how do you-” Cloudbreaker began,
“Do not insult them, we are in their realm, Cloudbreaker!” Grendel scolded.
“I'm not insulting them. I am merely informing her of the truth.” Cloudbreaker defended.
“You are threatening to kill her and that is an insult no matter where you are.” Grendel responded.
“Anyways, Elf,” Bal Vyr continued on, “you need us far more than what you’re leading on. Who’s to say the Humans won’t burn your woods down?”
A small, lilting laugh escaped the Elf’s mouth.
“Oh brother Elf, I thought you of all people would understand.”
“Brother?” I scoffed under my breathe at the sarcasm in her voice.
“I’m not your brother,” Bal Vyr flatly said.
“I believe part of our arrangement doesn’t involve killing you all here and now,” the Elf said, clearly bored with our inquisitiveness.  However the Drow and her bantered on a little more. He even suggested the possibility of the Humans giving us a better offer.
“Enough Bal Vyr, stop antagonizing her.” Cloudbreaker interrupted. He then tried to convince her to equip us with rations and weapons. The Elf said we’d find plenty of supplies in the village for our needs. She then left us to consider her offer, pointing out the trail that would lead us to the town. As the Wood Elves left, a satchel fell to the ground. Bal Vyr picked it up.
“So Grendel? I’m surprised you’re okay with all of this,” the Drow began as he dusted the leaves off the satchel, “We’ll be breaking numerous laws if we follow through with the Druidess’s request.”
“I never said I was okay with this,” Grendel’s deep voice boomed, You may think I’m brash and barbaric, but I assure you I’m not.”
“You were about to burn down a field the other day,” Trickfoot added.
Lash, Trickfoot, and I then observed as Cloudbreaker, Bal Vyr, and Grendel bickered. I barely caught hold of what they said as I wrote a note in my journal for them to read. They were asking Grendel about why it was he didn’t attack the Elves when the day before he was willing to fight 40 villagers. Grendel tried defending himself by saying it was because they were unarmed and that it was tactical. Cloudbreaker then reminded him that they were armed. Grendel, in a huff, turned on his heels and began walking in the direction of the town.
I waved the Drow and Goliath back to me, Trickfoot, and Lash. I then presented the page with my note written upon it:
I don’t like what she’s suggesting. I say if anything, let’s go to the village, inquire of the Humans what’s been going on, and see if there’s another side to this story. Something about that woman seems very off and I don’t trust her.
“Nor I. I don’t like being blackmailed.” Cloudbreaker muttered. No one else had anything to add, so we quickly took after Grendel. We asked Trickfoot, as we walked, if he might have heard of the town. Unfortunately it was unfamiliar to him.
As we continued to pursue after Grendel, I overheard Bal Vyr mention to Cloudbreaker his concerns about Grendel. Cloudbreaker agreed, he not liking Grendel’s view of justice. Bal Vyr gave him some credit noting how each of us have a skewed view to some degree. I cocked an eyebrow at the notion. It wasn’t too impossible to agree with. Cloudbreaker continued to be optimistic that he might be able to reason with the crusader.

✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻

No comments:

Post a Comment