Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Day 113: Rehm pt. 2: Fall, the Prophesied


✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


As I woke, or so I thought, I sat up in lush green grass. I then heard a child like giggle that I knew. I looked over to see Meryth running away from me. She was about 5 years old and smiled as she looked back. I couldn’t help but smile and got up to chase after her. As I caught up to Meryth, I scooped her into my arms and tickled her. The joy that welled inside me was almost unbearable.
I then looked around at the familiar setting. We were in the field just beyond my home. Looking toward the house I could see my mother, Malaney, and my father, Achmath, on the porch sitting with Raæin. Raæin! the shadow was right! I caught myself thinking. In fact, I couldn’t remember a time without Raæin. He had always been there with me.
It was there that I realized I was in a memory. It felt like a dream with how happy I was but with realizing what it was filled me with sorrow for eventually I would wake up.
I chose to enjoy it as long as I could.
With the warmth in my heart to be with my family, to be with my two dear companions, Raæin and Meryth, I remembered why Raæin was meant to be with me. He was my protector and mentor. It was his duty to help me master my powers while protecting me from those who’d harm me. I felt a small chuckle at the thought. At the time the idea of anyone wanting to harm me seemed silly.
There was a prophecy at the time that hadn’t come to past. I didn’t believe it, but despite what I thought the words were distinctly vivid in my mind:

Born beneath the baleful moon,
There shall be Arise, the evil, and Fall, the good
They twain shall vie for the heart of their deity
Arise, the evil, shall be rejected and Fall, the good, shall be chosen
A festering wound in the heart of Arise

Arise and Fall, though bound stronger than sinew,
Arise shall betray and seek to slay Fall through the marked armies
Casting Fall to hell where dwells the evil Arise shall embrace.
None shall have the power given them to slay Arise, save for Fall
But if Fall refuses, the darkness will take hold and ages will pass

None shall be safe while Arise rules,
The gods shall kneel before her,
Bathing her feet in the blood of their throats
The blood of traitors and deceivers, all
Usurpers of their own thrones

Return to us Sangrail
Lead to the land of ascension by the hand of Fall
Bearer of the planes, Sangrail alone and forgotten
Power you know not, danger you know not
Fall shall be your unwilling guard

When Arise is dead and the maws of evil filled,
Blood of the righteous to sate their lust,
Sangrail in the place of her making,
her steely gaze unblinking into the Abyss,
Fall shall fulfill and Sangrail shall conquer the usurpers

Thus shall be the end of time and the making of all things anew
Rule of the Sangrail, their cyclic enthroning
The first of the new to rule to the end,
Her wisdom and compasion, or arrogance and spite
To color the rest of reality

So save us from the darkness to come
Arise and Fall, you determine the fate of all

I knew I was Fall, but never cared. All of the Elders, my father Chiefest of them, thought if they could train me up early enough, that I would defeat Arise, whoever she was, before any of the horrible things could happen. Prophecies worked like that, that’s why they were given. Folk wanted hope that they could change things and avoid the bad consequences. At least that was the reasoning behind my training.
I watched as the memory of Meryth grew a little older. We laughed about the prophecy most of the time when it was brought up, though it was becoming increasingly awkward. I could see Meryth hurt deep down at the thought of all the horrible things that were to be done to me. When that cloud of darkness began to loom over, I would encourage us to pray to Heironious, that his grace would be upon me.
Once more Meryth aged a little. She was becoming more fearful, scared of herself. I remembered it was around this time when I created her lullabye. I wanted to comfort her. I even began to share my knowledge and training with her. I helped her learn the magics and fighting stances the elders had taught me for years. Yet even that, I knew, wouldn’t help.
Many years went by to when my parents left us. This part stuck out because a few days ago that shadow that claimed to be my father said he and mother had died after Meryth and I. Instead, the memory played out in a familiar fashion to what I knew had happened. The Mark was widespread, having claimed countless souls over the years. Erythnul’s forces were growing and was filling his ranks with his warriors. It was during this time when my parents became marked. I remember their struggle. They had some control, but once they knew they couldn’t resist it any more, they left. They lived the rest of their days in the plague camp before succumbing to the Boqor and dying.
With the mark on the rampage, Raæin and I lead the armies of the righteous against it. Though we fought valiantly battle after battle, our forces were left weaker while the enemy became stronger. But this part of the memories was most disturbing. I knew how to end it. I knew how to save all the lives that had been lost... but I refused to fulfill my obligation...
Years ago, during the time Meryth was becoming more fearful of herself, before the wars began, she confided in me that she thought she was Arise. She based it off of the jealousy she felt for my special training (hence why I tried to teach her) and my connection to Heironious... She even begged me at this confession to kill her with a dagger she told me was, “a gift from a friend I shouldn’t have.” Of course I refused thinking she was depressed. I held onto the dagger, the very dagger I acquired recently, worried for her own safety.
But I knew it then... I knew she was right... Still I refused to accept it.
As the battles raged on, I would see her out there in the midst of them. Everytime Meryth offered me the option to kill her. Everytime I refused. Part of me hates that I hadn’t. It’s so painfully obvious now with perspective, but I remember how in denial I was of my sister being Arise that I couldn’t kill her. I loved her too much to do such a thing.
Then the final stand took place as Erythnul’s armies marched to the coast of France to take his mark to other lands. Chills ran up my spine as I remembered how long that battle lasted. 3 days and 3 nights... Men, women, and children screamed and bled while I fought on. Each side dwindled in numbers; heroes dying, champions falling, demons and devils being cast down. In the end, it was just me and Meryth. Our armies were spent, the both of us drained from fighting. Had it really come down to this? Just the two of us?
The grass was thick with blood from the fallen. I stared back confused and angry, yet she was my little sister though we had grown up, she being 20 while I was 28. Here she was, I could clearly see the evil she had done. Without a doubt I knew she was Arise. But maybe she forced herself there by obsessing over her suspicion. Maybe she wasn’t the real Arise... those were some of the indenial thoughts that justified my unwillingness to not kill her.
Meryth’s begging for me to kill her was replaced with taunting. She said something very distinct in her taunting that I hadn’t realized the first time she said it.
“Oh how delicious your parents souls were for Erythnul,” she cooed, a smirk on her face as her eyes dared me to attack. Your parents. This wasn’t Meryth. But at the time, as much as I wanted to attack her, not kill her, I just sat there, tears streaking my face. I knew what had to be done, but I was too indecisive to follow through with my obligation.
Suddenly Meryth stood, staring off, looking concerned. I looked in the direction she was staring and could see a silver dragon headed toward us.
“Araja Eloirakn!” he beckoned to me, “I know you’re righteous, but this prophecy is costing too many lives! So to save countless others from losing their lives I’ve come to prevent the prophecy from furthering!” the dragon declared. I stood up with Meryth and looked her in the eyes. Silently we united as one in the cause of defending each other and together we slayed the dragon. Moments before were forgotten of how we had fought so bitterly against one another. For a moment, we were sisters through and through working together to save ourselves.
It weighs heavily on my heart to know I kill a silver dragon. How had I become so blind? So many innocent and good beings had already died that day... That final war as my mortal self just seemed so dark now with my thoughtless desires to bring Erythnul down at all costs.
In the process of slaying the silver dragon, I had been mortally wounded. I felt Meryth pick me up and place me on a horse, no... a nightmare she summoned. I was too weak to care. I could hear her beg me not to die, tears streaming down her face. That was Meryth. That was my sister.
Next thing I saw was Meryth standing next to someone; someone whom I could only assume to be her high priest. It was there I saw the mark upon her body, there on her wrist as she withdrew her hand from the person.
“No!” I thought I shouted, but it was just a thought in my head. I climbed off the ‘horse’ rushing to my sister’s aid. I didn’t think this time. I had to save her! She was only marked for a moment and if I killed her, she would be saved. She would be Exalted. So with the last of my strength, I killed her and her priest.
Even though I knew this to be a memory, that moment of seeing my sister’s lifeless body, unexalted, still stung. Yet, I understand why she wasn’t Exalted with the perspective I now have.
Shortly after killing them, everything went black.
Light. Bright light was met when I opened my eyes. I could feel some tears fall from them as though I was on the verge of crying. The vaulted ceiling overhead was so high, clouds could be seen. Marbled pillars and trees with leaves that shed light brighter than the sun were patterned about the place. It was glorious. I could feel the weight of the wings on my back and I gently touched them, marveling at the soft feathers that adorned my frame.
“Welcome, my warrior,” I heard Him say. The warmth of Heironious voice was inviting, everything I remembered of peace and safety. It was made known that I was Exalted so I could fight against Erythnul as an Angel. The focus of taking Erythnul down filled the emptiness that was left from the lose of my sister. Maybe with Erythnul’s death, my desire for vengeance would be satiated and I’d finally be at peace.
More years passed and Malfeiya surfaced. It was curious to see her again for she was exactly how I remembered her. Was Meryth lying about being her then? I wondered.
I remember the excitement in seeing her power in removing the mark. There was hope. Then the day came when she slew Erythnul, yet how unfortunate it was for her because she too was slain, the mark being placed upon her body before hand. As tragic as it was, the war was finally over. Erythnul was dead and the world was now safe from him.
Then something unexpected happened. Heironious Exalted Malfeiya as his Prime Angel. My whole frame went rigid. I felt the anger rise in me knowing this wasn’t right. Not only was she marked, I noticed the mark glowed with it’s power. If the power was still there, then Erythnul couldn’t truly be dead then... I decided to confront them together. How great my shock was to walk in on Heironious and to see Him and Malfeiya, no- Meryth! (for a brief moment I saw Malfeiya shift to my 12 year old sister) in an embrace not meant to be seen. Meryth hadn’t lie, but how sick it made me to remember how involved she was with Heironious. I was about to leave, more or less run, to confide in my fellow Angelic about the corruption that had taken place, but I was cast out before I could do such a thing.
Being cast from Heironious’s kingdom may have prevented me from informing the other Angelic, but I knew of the other good deities. I flew to their realms, with Raæin faithfully at my side this whole time, to seek their help. Raæin had always been so faithful... even though I now can see I may not have always made the best of choices...
The other good deities wouldn’t engage in war against Heironious. However they did lend their angels to fight with me. Once I had my forces gathered (this must have been the Holy Host Meryth told me about), I lead battle against my sister.
Years of war waged, the heavens bled while the Hells feasted upon my fallen comrades. Once more, more good beings were killed and that time at the expense of my vendetta toward Heironious and Meryth...
During the last battle I fought, I was struck down by a greater devil named Nerull. The devil wasn’t quite as fearsome as Erythnul, but there was fear none the least as I was cast down with Raæin into Hell. I could hear Nerull laugh as my soul was rend and suffered in Hell. I remember forgetting myself. Bits of me fading as the torture continued for an undetermined amount of time.
Then I was released. It had been 1400 years since my time in Hell though at first it seemed as though I had just been casted from Heironious presence. I remember the confusion, the half truths that still lingered, branded in my mind with a hot iron about how Heironious had failed me, but mingled with all the skewed memories left after the torture. Event the memories of hell vanished. All that was left were my naked wings, short hair and my tunic from my time as Heironious’s angel.

✻   ✻   ✻   ✻   ✻


Next Entry

No comments:

Post a Comment